birding-aus

Trip Report: Mt Isa, Lawn Hill & Bladensburg (Long)

To: Tim Dolby <>, birding-aus threads <>
Subject: Trip Report: Mt Isa, Lawn Hill & Bladensburg (Long)
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 19:10:42 +1030
Hi Tim, What a fantastic trip you had with Greg & Tim out in the fabulous Mt
Isa region - your report was an excellent & very sensitive piece that was a
pleasure to read, especially from my perspective - it is one of my favourite
locations to go birding too & always has a surprise or 3 whenever I've ventured
out there myself. Sorry, & I really hate doing this, but I do have a couple of
minor corrections to point out to you from your report, however. They are to do
with your mention of most north-easterly limits of known ranges for
Spinifexbird & Spinifex Pigeon... Spinifexbirds do occur in a small & seemingly
isolated population on the flat-top of Mt Walker, 10kms or so SE of Hughenden -
this site is approx 200kms NE of Bladensburg NP. Spinifex Pigeons occur
commonly in the tussock grasslands in the savanna country around Georgetown,
from at least as far east as 25kms E of Newcastle Range near the Einasleigh
River - the Newcastle Range is some 450+ kms NNE of Bladensburg NP !! Because
of the large amount of km's involved in these discrepancies, I felt it prudent
to mention them. But Tim, what a great trip you guys must've had !!I'm heading
out that way & onto the Qld channel country again in July & I just can't wait -
reading reports like your's, & also the recent one of Tim Faulkner's, only gets
me even more excited!! Well done on a great adventure & on a beautifully
written piece... Cheers,   Martin Cachard,   Cairns,   0428 782 808