birding-aus

Newhaven last week

To: "'birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Newhaven last week
From: "Alan Stuart" <>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 18:34:37 +1000
Last week, I and 4 others (Ann Lindsey, Mike Newman, Judy Westphal, Penny
Drake-Brockman) were able to spend several days at AWC's Newhaven sanctuary
working with Peter Struik and Toni Marsh on their study of the Princess
Parrots. As others have mentioned on birding-aus already, Peter and Toni are
doing a great job.  They have been up before dawn nearly every day for the
past month, to study the PPs and assist visitors to enjoy some time with
these spectacular birds.  The occurrence on Newhaven is allowing detailed
studies of what plants the birds are feeding on, as well as many behavioural
observations.  All of the information being collected will most certainly
help with land management strategies that assist the conservation of this
poorly-known species.

We were able to locate 80 birds last Tuesday, with observers spread out over
several km, but I've been told that today there were 120 birds present
including a single flock of 90 birds.  There have also been reports recently
of smaller flocks out near Jupiters Well and the Mereenie Loop.

The desert is looking terrific at the moment and many species are flowering
or have fruit. Plenty of food for PPs, it seems!

We recorded over 50 species in Newhaven, including a family of
Rufous-crowned Emu-wren (a lifer for me), Dusky Grasswren, Banded Whiteface,
Beautiful Firetail.

Alan Stuart