birding-aus

Cape Petrel - Pt Lookout, N Stradbroke Is, SEQ

Subject: Cape Petrel - Pt Lookout, N Stradbroke Is, SEQ
From: Colin R <>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2012 16:37:34 +1000
Hi All

Following on from the Light-mantled Sooty Albatross on the Molloolaba
pelagic I was lucky enough to see yesterday, I went to Pt Lookout on
North Stradbroke Islan this morning and, at 8.50, a Cape Petrel flew
past (south) barely 30 meters off the rocks, or approx 100 meters from
my position! I had it in view for no more than 10 secs and was unable to
locate it afterwards despite some mad dashing around on the headland
trying to track it.
I'm not sure of historical records and would be interested (obviously)
to hear if one has been seen from a land based seawatch in Qld before. I
know a couple (not sure how many, Paul?) have been seen on the Southport
pelagics - I saw one of them many years ago - but am unsure of closer to
shore records?

For those locals who may be interested - I also had a Noisy Pitta on the
headland (second time) and a pair of Beach Stone Curlews on the mud
flats beside the One Mile water taxi jetty at Dunwich. (I had a single
Bush Stone Curlew from the bus at the usual spot near the Anchorage
Motel - so both SCs in the same day was a first for me!)

I will submit a BARC report for the Petrel as soon as I can work out how
to use the form.....

Great weekend!!

Cheers

Colin