birding-aus

Trip Report: Mt Isa, Lawn Hill & Bladensburg (Long)

To: martin cachard <>, "" <>
Subject: Trip Report: Mt Isa, Lawn Hill & Bladensburg (Long)
From: Tim Dolby <>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 02:13:10 +0000
Thanks for your nice feedback Martin, and no prob re your comments about my
trip report (at http://tim-dolby.blogspot.com.au). However you may have taken
my comments slightly out of context. For instance, in terms of the distribution
of Spinifexbird and Spinifex Pigeon, I’m aware of the population range that you
mention. For example in July 2010, I wrote to birding-aus stating “Of interest,
a pair of Spinifexbird has just been recorded on a spinifex covered mesa
plateau at Mt Walker, 8.5 km south Hughenden (385 west of Townsville). A
relatively sedentary species, this appears to be at least 200 km outside the
northern end of its range. The closest records are from Bladensburg National
Park (south of Winton) and Adelong Reserve (near Lake Galilee). They were
observed last Saturday (24 July) by Peter Valentine nest building in a clump of
spinifex near the Reay Lookout. Peter took some excellent photographs. They
were first observed on Tuesday June 29, where (it appears) they were mistakenly
identified as Striated Grasswren. Cheers, Tim Dolby”
(see
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/birding-aus/2010-07/msg00408.html).

I’ve noted that you followed up this report in Feb 2011. In terms of Spinifex
Pigeon, in 2003 I visited Georgetown and specifically looked for Spinifex
Pigeon (along Forsyth Rd from memory), unfortunately to no avail.

So, thanks again. Essentially in this case my comments weren’t meant to read
like an Atlas-type statement about the distribution of Spinifexbird and
Spinifex Pigeon in Qld, rather they were a generalised comment about the
distribution link between Triodia pungens at Bladensburg (central Qld) and
birds such as Spinifexbird, Rufous-crowned Emu-wren, Striated Grasswren,
Spinifex Pigeon and Painted Finch. (Ps. you’ve missed the record of Spinifex
Pigeon, at Granite Gorge Nature Park – this is 788 km NNE of Bladensburg.
Thanks again ;-)

Cheers again,

Tim Dolby