birding-aus

Hunting in NPs

To: <>
Subject: Hunting in NPs
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 21:40:32 +1000
I am concerned about this issue, as are the rest of us, in particular that
this appears not to arise through a well thought out policy, but a cynical
trade-off about an entirely unrelated issue. To placate and obtain a desired
outcome on something else, from a (sadly, democratically elected) lobby
group in parliament.

I am also concerned that some of our correspondents are concentrating on the
issue of professional or recreational hunters / shooters. It is clear that
NSW NPWS don't have sufficient funds to do all the conservation activities
that should be done. So I am curious at the suggestion that such "control"
as being suggested should only be done by expending limited funds employing
people who are paid, rather than having free help from people who are not
paid. Sure some people are better for the role than others but I don't know
that paid people are necessarily as a group any better than volunteers, just
as professional ornithologists are not necessarily any better ornithologists
than volunteers (i.e. amateurs, noting that most contributors to this line
are variously experienced and skilled amateur ornithologists.) So why does
it need to be done professionally (that is: paid for by the taxpayer)?

The main advantage of professionals that I can see is that they are likely
to only shoot what is asked and paid for and thus controlled. Volunteers
being a whole range of people of varying skills and desires are likely to be
less predictable and lead to the whole range of issues that have been
mentioned. Yet in some circumstances and with proper serious controls,
volunteers could be more effective at reducing feral animals than doing
nothing.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From:
 On Behalf Of Nikolas Haass
Sent: Thursday, 31 May 2012 4:31 PM     To: Wes Tolhurst;
         Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Hunting
in NPs

Dear Wes,

Despite all the clarifying e-mails by others you keep incorrectly mixing up
two issues (1) ferals and (2) recreational hunters.
(1) Everyone agrees that ferals (many of which were introduced FOR the
recreational hunters!) need to be eradicated and that this needs to be done
professionally.

(2) You said that most recreational hunters "have an environmental
conscience and know the animals of the bush far better than most city
greenies". I am not so sure about that. Do you have a statistical proof for
such statements? With the same amount of scientific proof I could say that
most recreational hunters cannot tell a Brush-tailed Rock-Wallaby - and even
less so a Common Wombat - from a Pig.What is 'environmental conscience'? I
know people who love 'nature' but they are talking of golf courses, farm
fields, pine tree monocultures, gardens with exotic plants...!

There is need for clear definitions and facts.My point here is that we have
to be professional! You can't argue the way you do.

Cheers,

Nikolas

Nikolas Haass

Sydney, NSW