birding-aus

Hunting to be allowed in NSW National Parks

To: Greg and Val Clancy <>
Subject: Hunting to be allowed in NSW National Parks
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 10:10:56 +1000
Greg,

Unfortunately, this move by the NSW Government is not about feral animal
control. It is purely and simply to obtain the Shooters and Fishers party vote
in the Upper House of the NSW Parliament, in order to be able to sell
government assets. It is simply an act of quid pro quo, though it would seem
with a different meaning to "pro".

Cheers,

Carl Clifford

Sent from my iPad

On 30/05/2012, at 23:16, "Greg and Val Clancy" <> wrote:

> This is a very concerning development and there is nothing good about it. The
> control of feral animals in national parks and reserves is best carried out
> by professional shooters or by other methods such as baiting and trapping.
> If the sporting shooters were allowed to assist with ongoing feral animal
> control in a very coordinated way there could be some benefit but the system
> operating in state forests is in no way assisting feral animal control.  The
> hunters in state forests go hunting when it suits them and not when it is
> most desirable from a feral animal control perspective. It is true that feral
> animal control in national parks is a major issue but providing additional
> funds to allow the professionals to do the culling using the most appropriate
> methods, which may or may not involve shooting, would allow real advances.
> The other problem with sporting shooters shooting in national parks is that
> it is not in their interest to severely reduce or eliminate the feral ani
 mals.  The claim that this will assist with feral animal control is a furphy
and the politicians and shooters should be open and honest about it.  There is
a Sydney Morning Herald survey which closes at midnight tonight.  When I viewed
it earlier over 70% of respondents had voted against letting shooters into
national parks.  The NSW National Parks Association is also mounting a campaign
against the decision.