birding-aus

Publishing convention re bird-names

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Publishing convention re bird-names
From: John Leonard <>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 07:21:09 +1000
"It reflects the historical thinking of a species that collectively doesn't
give a Rat's for other species." Yep, I think that's right.

John Leonard

ps Thinking about proper nouns and whether classes of things can be proper
nouns, what about the case of the Nimitz Class Aircraft Carriers, not the
nimitz class aircraft carriers (though I suppose Nimitz would have a
capital anyway).

pps Which leads me to another thought, apologies if anyone has already
pointed this out, if only "real" proper nouns have capitals, do we have
Lewin's rail v buff-banded rail, Albert's lyrebird v superb lyrebird?