birding-aus

Publishing convention re bird-names

To: <>
Subject: Publishing convention re bird-names
From: "Scottie" <>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 14:33:50 +1000
I guess one way round ambiguities would be to write the bird's name in lower
case (eg little penguins) to conform with house style and then put the
scientific name in brackets to indicate how specific you are intending to be.

I don't think you are going to change the style manuals of the major
publications. They are serious, well-considered documents, not just some ideas
cobbled together by a bunch of journos in a bar.

Good luck either way.
Peter Scott

John Leonard wroteStyle guides and so forth are all very well, but there comes
a point when
you have to know (if you're a good editor) when to disagree with them.

The classic example of where you need capitals, as someone has already
pointed out, is when a sentence reads "These islands host nesting colonies
of little penguins..."

John Leonard