birding-aus

Birdline Western Australia Weekly Update GREAT SHEARWATER CLEARLY NOT

To: "'Jeff Davies'" <>
Subject: Birdline Western Australia Weekly Update GREAT SHEARWATER CLEARLY NOT
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 19:37:56 +1100
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your comment. Sorry if you or others think so, I wasn't intending
"way overkill". I am curious at the general phenomenon (not just this case)
of people making big leaps of identification, rather than small leaps and
wondering why this sort of thing happens somewhat often. A very long time
ago (20 to 30 years) when I was seasick on a pelagic trip, I looked up at
something, probably not very clearly, and thought I had seen a distant
Wandering Albatross, because it was mainly white above, but that thought
only lasted a few minutes. No doubt it was an adult Gannet. So why did I
want it to be a Wandering Albatross, simply because I wanted it! But that is
a species you could reasonably expect to have encountered at that place and
date.

It is interesting why would an identification go to that particular species
(Great Shearwater) which is unlikely just on status. I understand a new
birder to our shores learning the ropes thinking what a great bird. But
curious as to the thought process. Could it be because it has been mentioned
recently? As in my question is about the role of wishful thinking in bird
identification over the whole range of people and experiences. I don't see
this as rubbing it in.

And yes you are right that Great Shearwater is not ONLY "on the other side
of the world" (but usually is).

Lastly the question remains: Do any shearwaters feed by diving behaviour as
described?

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Jeff Davies