birding-aus

Birdline South Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline South Australia Weekly Update
Date: 2 Jan 2012 01:30:44 +1000

Birdline South Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 1 Jan 2012.

Sun 1 Jan Striated Pardalote (race striatus) Glenelg North private back garden
One mature bird visiting birdbath to drink. Although the field guide states the race striatus is Tasmanian, there was definitely no red wing spot colour. Previously sighted 2 juveniles a couple of weeks ago at the same bath.
Chris Beardsley

Sat 31 Dec Superb Fairy-wren Private Residence, Gawler East
Superb Fairy-wren (2) male/female pair flushed by our dog (unfortunately!) from the rear section of our backyard and perched momentarily in neighbours peppercorn tree before flying toward front of house - unable to relocate after a brief search. A very surprising record for such a suburban part of the outer northern suburbs. Hopefully they will return and take refuge in our garden again!
David Hartland + Rosanne Tobin

Thu 29 Dec Great Crested Grebe, Yellow-billed Spoonbill, Black-tailed Godwit Buckland Park Lake
Great Crested Grebe Yellow-billed Spoonbill (1) on southern end of lake Black-tailed Godwit (3) sitting on small island/sand bar close to western edge of lake with Spoonbill, Egrets and Ducks
David Hartland

Great Crested Grebe, White-bellied Sea-Eagle, Whimbrel (1), Eastern Curlew Cheetham Saltworks, St Kilda
Great Crested Grebe (3) On large salt pan among Hoary-headed Grebes, diving whenever I approached to digiscope for better images - also seen on Buckland Park Lake (1) White-bellied Sea-Eagle (1) seen heading south-north, from direction of St. Kilda. Flying at a distance of 15-20 metres above mangroves Whimbrel (1) one bird in close company with group of Eastern Curlew, seemed very nervous and well aware of my presence at all times, scurrying across mud nervously whenever I moved. Flew off with Curlews after 20-25 minutes. Eastern Curlew (11) Feeding on exposed mud as tide receeded, most waders were encountered in this one large area. Eventually flew off to eastern side of site.
David Hartland

Wed 28 Dec Peregrine Falcon Glenelg
A single Peregrine Falcon gliding over the hotel near the pier at Glenelg beach.
Tony Keene

Scarlet-chested Parrot Bookmark Biosphere, Riverland, SA
At least 6 birds, mostly immatures, one adult male.
Peter Waanders, Helga Kieskamp

Wed 21 Dec Australian Wood Duck & Australian Bustard Road to Cook, north of Eyre Highway
Single male Aust Wood Duck seen 60 km north of Eyre Highway and single male Aust Bustard 39 km from highway on our return trip south on road from Cook.
John Barkla & Alison Street

Tue 20 Dec Spotted Harrier Between Fowlers Bay & Eyre Highway
Driving south of Eyre Highway, west from Fowlers Bay, on unsealed roads we saw no less than 15 Spotted Harriers in about 30kms. We recorded them regularly right across the state, but this was our highest density. We also saw 8 around the township of Cook (plus about 400 Nankeen Kestrels and 60 Brown Falcons - apparently due to mouse plague).
John Barkla & Alison Street

Inland Dotterel Road to Cook, north of Eyre Highway
9 Inland Dotterel in four groups (3 + 1 + 4 + 1) along road to Cook. First group was about 60 km north and last was 90 km north of highway .
John Barkla & Alison Street

Mon 19 Dec Black-eared Cuckoo Between Haltaba & Willoura (edge of Gawler Ranges NP)
Black-eared Cuckoo heard calling and then two birds seen well.
John Barkla & Alison Street

Fri 16 Dec Brown Quail Strzelecki Crossing, Strzelecki Track
Five Brown Quail on Strzelecki Creek about 1 km north of Strzelecki Crossing.
John Barkla & Alison Street

Wed 14 Dec Chestnut-breasted Whiteface & Thick-billed Grasswren Mt Lyndhurst Station
Three Chestnut-breasted Whiteface & four Thick-billed Grasswren roughly one kilometre north of "old car" site.
John Barkla & Alison Street

Birdline South Australia is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.

Unsubscribe