birding-aus

Unidentified bird - Cue, WA

To: <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, Birding-Aus <>, Birds WA E-Mail List <>
Subject: Unidentified bird - Cue, WA
From: John Graff <>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 14:12:42 +0800
Hi Phil (& others),

This thread seems to have a new lease on life! Below is a response I sent
offline to a couple of people re. the possibility of Spinifexbird with a couple
of additions
"Thanks for your thoughts. It does look similar to a Spinifexbird, and this was
mentioned in our initial discussions on the ID. However, I feel the tail
details don't quite fit [Jeff has probably described this better] - it appears
relatively too short, and lacks the barring on the undertail (see
http://ibc.lynxeds.com/photo/spinifexbird-eremiornis-carteri/distant-bird-perched
 for comparison). Additionally, the Cue area would be well out of range for
Spinifexbird [Rufous Songlark were around], and the habitat was mulga scrub
with little groundcover, and definitely no spinifex. Also the bird was
photographed at the top of a dead mulga - whilst Spinifexbird does like to pop
up into low bushes, they rarely seem to venture much higher than a metre or so
off the ground [in my experience]."

So whilst the shape may be slightly atypical for Rufous Songlark (depending on
who you ask!), I think it is also wrong for a Spinifexbird, and it would be far
more likely to have a slightly odd Rufous Songlark at the site (particularly
judging from one photo - unfortunately I don't think there are any others),
than to have an odd-looking Spinifexbird well out of range in unusual habitat
exhibiting atypical behaviour (perching atop a fairly tall mulga). I would be
wary of judging the darkness of the bird too much off a single photo, as I
suspect it will vary depending on lighting. I'm still of the firm opinion that
it's a Rufous Songlark - however, I've asked the two people who saw it if they
can add anything about behaviour, which may further clarify.

Also agree with Phil (and one of the commentators on the page itself) that the
bird at http://www.flickr.com/photos/alwyn_simple/3592076598/ is a Rufous
Songlark rather than a Spinifexbird

Always good to have a decent ID discussion!

Cheers,
John