birding-aus

Birdline Central & Southern Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Central & Southern Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 17 Oct 2011 01:30:31 +1000

Birdline Central & Southern Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 16 Oct 2011.

Sat 15 Oct Common Bronzewing, Spotted Quail-thrush Clear Mountain Conservation Park
Common Bronzewing (2) On road verge Spotted Quail-thrush (1) Flushed at southern most track junction and perched briefly in nearby tree
Chris Attewell

Baillons Crake Minnippi
Continuing my good recent run of crakes and rails at this site,had a Baillons Crake today.Bird showing well at midday on west side of lake island.
Stuart Pickering

Fri 14 Oct Freckled Duck Lake Bindegolly, Thargamindah
Four Freckled Duck were seen together (western edge of northern lake near the main road crossing) as usual very difficult to approach. A distant ID photograph attached. One male was in partial breeding colour (dull red bill). Blue-billed Ducks were also present here as well as in the southern lake.
Peter Valentine

Tue 11 Oct Chirruping Wedgebill Bowra Station
In the western most part of the AWC Bowra Station one, possibly two birds seen that were running and flying in low mulga with partially stony pavement. One clear photo provides the main evidence for this sighting. Note the expanded crest. Chirruping Wedgebill has been recorded once before at Bowra (sight and song). Unfortunately the bird(s) did not call. The habitat also contained Quail-thrush seen at the same location and almost simultaneously. This record would be at the eastern edge of its known range.
Peter Valentine

Sun 9 Oct Grey falcon Noccundra - Warry-Warry Road
a single Grey Falcon seen in flight and close overhead about 10kms south of where the Noccundra Rd meets Adventure Way
Simon Blanchflower

Grey Falcon Adventure Way, 40kms west of Thargomindah
a single Grey Falcon seen perched beside the road in a dead tree.
Simon Blanchflower

Grey Falcon, Chestnut-Breasted Quail-thrush, Hall's Babbler Bowra Station
Highlights from a trip to Bowra recently included 2 Grey Falcon's on the access road being mobbed by a Raven - looks like a Raven has moved in to their previous nesting site (or a favoured site) as the Falcons were trying to land in the tree and perhaps return to their previous site - they eventually flew off southwards. also seen were around 70 odd species including Hall's Babbler on the "Circuit" road and a Chestnut-breated Quail-thrush on the "Tableland track".
Simon Blanchflower

Marbled Frogmouth Mapleton Forest Reserve, Sunshine Coast hinterland
Five birds, with four seen, bringing to 10 the number of territories known from the Blackall Range
Greg Roberts

Banded Lapwings Bromelton Road and Boonah Rd, Beaudesert, SEQld
17 sighted in one polo field seems like a huge number for this spot where often one struggles to find 2
Duncan Fowler & Stephen Beal

Bush Hen Darlington Park, Albert River, Beaudesert SE Qld
Close range-Crossed paths with Buff Banded Rail on waterline over several minutes wandering bank allowing for digiscope based photos (sorry cant download) all this within 20m of a fairly raucous camping area with footballing 'youths'!
Duncan Fowler & Stephen Beal

Black Falcons Boonah Road, Beaudesert, SEQld
2 Black Falcons moving slowly over countryside allowing viewing with 2 scopes for several minutes-luxury
Duncan Fowler & Stephen Beal

White-streaked Honeyeater Mount Molloy
Whilst guiding last Monday I had the good fortune to observe a White-streaked Honeyeater in Mount Molloy. The bird was feeding in callistamon and grevillea before being chased by a Blue-faced Honeyeater. The following morning the bird was photographed by David Crawford and judged by Lloyd Nielsen to be a first year individual.This appeares to be an extralimital record for this Cape York endemic about 80 kilometres south of the nearest population at Shipton's Flat south of Cooktown.
Per Del. Richards

Tue 6 Sep plains wanderer dunes country east of Poeppels Corner
Could I have seen a plains wanderer. My fleeting glance was of a small upright bird with a tail like a quail. It was at the bottom of a dune beside the track & quickly disappeared into the shrubby vegetation. My field guides vary greatly regarding the distribution of this bird. I can provide a photo of the vegetation if that would help. We were crossing the Simpson Desert.
Robin Spry

Birdline Central & Southern Queensland is sponsored by Birds Australia Southern Queensland and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.

Unsubscribe