birding-aus

Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest

To: <>
Subject: Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest
From: "Birdpedia - Australia Info" <>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 00:05:05 +1030
The following is a digest of Sightings Reported on Birdpedia for the period
Monday, October 3, 2011 to Sunday, October 9, 2011:

Area: SA

Date: Saturday, September 24, 2011

Location: Toronto St Ovingham

Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike (Coracina novaehollandiae) (1) On power line outside
house. Seems to be getting a little more common around here.

Reported by: David Cox on Monday, October 3, 2011

Date: Sunday, October 2, 2011

Location: Kirra station,  Ngarkat CP

Wedge-tailed Eagle (Aquila audax) (2) We were walking along the boundary fence
of Kirra, near the Comet Bore campout, and spotted a huge nest that could only
be a wedgie. It was in the open and only 5 metres or so above the ground. The
nestling was too big to hide and a few fluffy feathers could be seen ruffling
in the breeze. It got bolder and stuck its head up. Lots of blowflies were
buzzing over the nest presumably attracted by the remains of the wedgie's last
meal. Later in the day we saw one adult in flight, and on giving the nest a
very wide berth on returning to the car saw the baby standing on top of the
nest. It was at least magpie size.

Reported by: Barbara and Peter Bansemer on Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Date: Sunday, October 2, 2011

Location: Onkaparinga Wetlands

White-necked Heron (Ardea pacifica) (1) On the river bank and then flying
overhead - magnificent.

Great Egret (Casmerodius albus) (1) Fishing on the river bank

Reported by: David Cox on Monday, October 3, 2011

Date: Monday, October 3, 2011

Location: Scott Creek cherry gardens

Fan-tailed Cuckoo (Cacomantis flabelliformis) (1)

Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo (Chrysococcyx basalis) (1)

Bassian Thrush (Zoothera lunulata) (1)

All seen within 200m of car park

Reported by: David Newman on Monday, October 3, 2011