birding-aus

Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest

To: <>
Subject: Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest
From: "Birdpedia - Australia Info" <>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 00:05:06 +1030
The following is a digest of Sightings Reported on Birdpedia for the period
Monday, October 24, 2011 to Sunday, October 30, 2011:

Area: SA

Date: Saturday, October 22, 2011

Location: Laratinga Wetlands Mount Barker.

Freckled Duck (Stictonetta naevosa) (4) At 16.30 I received a phone call from
Kevin Williams saying that there were two Freckled Duck on Pond 11. I joined
him at about 16.45 and we viewed the 2 Freckled Duck together. We then moved to
the area of the channel joining Ponds 7 and 8 where we saw three Spotted Crake
and a single Baillon's Crake. There are at least 10 Little Pied Cormorants
nests on the island in Pond 7. When I returned to Pond 11 at 17.30 the number
of Freckled Duck had increased to 4.

Reported by: Bob Snell and Kevin Williams on Monday, October 24, 2011

Date: Sunday, October 23, 2011

Location: On our property at Rockleigh

Black-shouldered Kite (Elanus axillaris) (4) Watched 23/10/11 and 24/10/11. The
kites have been nesting near the top of a gum tree 100 metres from our shed. We
saw the young birds for the first time this weekend. One was seen standing on
the nest flexing its wings while the other just had its head showing. They
appeared to be almost adult-sized. Their gold-orange colour across the upper
chest and at the sides of the head was very attractive. They spent most of the
days screaming for food then screaming to divvy up the spoils after a parent
had returned with their meal.

Reported by: Barbara and Peter Bansemer on Monday, October 24, 2011

Date: Monday, October 24, 2011

Location: Lake ALbert, Meningee

Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus) (1) Great Crested Grebe in breeding
plumage observed on the lake in front of the Caravan Park. First I have seen in
SA

Reported by: Anthea Williams on Monday, October 24, 2011

Date: Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Location: Swamp Road Wetlands, Strathalbyn

Pink-eared Duck (Malacorhynchus membranaceus) (16)

Black-shouldered Kite (Elanus axillaris) (1) Perched on dead gum to the right
of the hide.

Spotted a pair of pink eared ducks here on Monday and suspected others but too
far in the distance to be sure. Today there were 16 in view from the hide.

Reported by: Michelle Foster on Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Date: Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Location: Pengilly Scrub, Roseworthy (Bush Heritage Block)

Cockatiel (Nymphicus hollandicus) (10) Cockatiels have shown up in good numbers
here at the moment

Painted Button-quail (Turnix varius) (1) Flushed one Painted Button-Quail in
north eastern corner of reserve

Blue-winged Parrot (Neophema chrysostoma) (2) The Blue-wings that have been
here for the last few weeks are still about

Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus) (1) A spectacular sight as a single male
Peregrine came out of nowhere like a rocket through a small flock of Galahs in
middle of the reserve, missed all of them then banked around and flew right
over my head giving excellent views!

Also of interest were Budgies, White-winged Trillers, Elegant Parrots and lots
of Woodswallows (White-browed, Masked & Dusky)

Reported by: Chris Steeles on Wednesday, October 26, 2011

More Information: More Information...

Date: Saturday, October 29, 2011

Location: Freeling Sewage Ponds

Blue-billed Duck (Oxyura australis) (1) Blue-billed Duck male seen floating in
typical fashion as far away from me as it could get on the other side of pond!
This is my first sighting of this species at these ponds. Average quality ID
photo taken as it was from a distance of about 100m and nearly dark!

Reported by: Chris Steeles on Sunday, October 30, 2011

Date: Sunday, October 30, 2011

Location: Two dams on Jones Road between Hahndorf and Balhannah.

White-necked Heron (Ardea pacifica) (2) One bird on each dam, feeding in
shallow water close to road.

Great Egret (Casmerodius albus) (1) One, on dam closest to Hahndorf

Yellow-billed Spoonbill (Platalea flavipes) (1) One, Feeding with Great Egret
above.

Twenty-two species in total. 40+ Great Cormorants together with half dozen
Little Black Cormorants and 4 Blue-billed Duck on 'Hahndorf' dam. The only
species seen on Hanna Lake, the dam closest to Balhannah, and not on the
'Hahndorf' dam was White-faced Heron.

Reported by: Bob Snell on Sunday, October 30, 2011

Need more information about a sighting? Login and contact the poster directly.

Receive sightings via email or SMS immediately they are posted.

Not a member of Birdpedia? Membership is free and gives you access to
information for over 230 countries.

To sign up go to the Birdpedia Web Site (http://www.birdpedia.com/).

To find out more about Birdpedia and what it can do for you, see 'What is
Birdpedia?'