birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 12 Sep 2011 01:30:56 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 11 Sep 2011.

Sun 11 Sep Diamond Firetail. Anakie Junction. Private property.
Observed and photographed, on Private property close to Anakie Junction at 1600 HRS. There were 14 birds in the flock feeding in a short growth green crop. Got excellent photos of same while they where drinking from a cattle trough. One individual had a vivid yellow beak and rump.
Warren Palmer.

Australian Little Bittern Karkarook Park
Australian Little Bittern (1) juvenile flushed from the largest clump of reeds on the northern side of the southern-most pond next to Warrigal Rd.
Mark Bennett

Buff-banded Rail Barwon River
Queens Park Bridge, Barwon River, Geelong (golf course side).
Ian Jamieson

Swift Parrot Oxford Street, Newport
2-3 birds preening and feeding high in one of numerous large Angophora costata trees in Oxford Street. Red and Little Wattlebird, White-plumed and New Holland Honeyeater abundant companions.
Adrian Martins

Sat 10 Sep Tawny Frogmouth Hattah-Kulkyne National Park
Tawny Frogmouth (1) on nest. Old Calder Highway, north of Warepil Lookout.
Malcolm Cousland

White-necked Heron Serendip Sanctuary, Lara
White-necked Heron (3) On Lake Serendip associating with Great Egret
Paul Dodd & Ruth Woodrow

Red-necked Avocet South Yarrawonga Wetland
Red-necked Avocet (1) a big surprise to see here, foraging in muddy shallows. Very scarce in north-east Victoria, only my second ever record for this part of the state.
Michael Ramsey

Fri 9 Sep Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo Steiglitz Historic Township
Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo (70) A conservative count of a large flock flying low from the north-west directly over the town at 4:15pm. Some came to land in a large pine tree east of the town.
Chris Lindorff

Latham's Snipe. Heathdale Glen Orden Wetlands, Werribee 3030.
At 1245 hours, three Latham's Snipe flushed at the wetland. The Snipe have been particularly 'site faithful' to this location for many decades irrespective of the surrounding residential development and modification of the wetland. Best number of Snipe I have observed there, was eleven birds in mid-November 2009. Other species observed at the site, included Great Egret(1), Little Egret(1), Dusky Moorhen(3), White-faced Heron(5), Little Pied Cormorant (4).
Peter Gibbons

Thu 8 Sep Barbary Dove Wyndham Vale, Weeribee
Spotted in the backyard on bird bath. Spent most of day resting and feeding before moving on at dusk. Not sure if wild bird or escaped captive. (Moderators note: reported as Collared Dove, assumed to be a Barbary Dove, either an escapee or perhaps one of the birds from the population reported around Altona).
Arthur Binns

Pallid Cuckoo, Speckled Warbler, Rufous Whistler, Red-capped Robin Long Forest Nature Conservation Reserve
Pallid Cuckoo (1) Single bird in a gully on Happy Valley Track. Clear view of nape spot. Speckled Warbler (1) Single bird seen West of Long Forest Road between Mallee Track and Happy Valley Track. Second bird heard on Djerriwarrh Track near Long Forest Road Rufous Whistler (1) Heard on Djerriwarrh Creek calling several times. Very early return for this species. Red-capped Robin (1) Splendid male perching conspicuously West of Long Forest Road between Mallee Track and Happy Valley Track.
Marilyn Hewish, Dean Hewish, Bill Stent

Banded Stilt Avalon Saltworks/Avalon Beach
250 Banded Stilts in one flock, incl. many immature (photo of portion of flock - Rob) with small numbers of Black-winged Stilts (10) and Red-necked Avocets (10) in large pond on N side of road leading down to Avalon beach (public access). In total in this pond ~ 50 Avocets and 20 Black-winged Stilts. Also in saltworks (restricted access) a Buff-banded Rail, 1 Double-banded Plover in breeding plumage, 150 White-fronted Chats ( two flocks of 100 and 50) a total of 40 Blue-winged Parrots (majority juvenile birds, largest group 10 birds). Also 4 juvenile Black-shouldered Kites together.
Rob Ganly, Craig Morley

Magpie Goose, Gull-billed Tern, Caspian Tern, White-winged Black Tern Reedy Lake, Leopold
Great day at Reedy Lake with a flock of Magpie Geese observed (east paddock adjacent to reserve at the end of Whitehorse Road), a single Caspian Tern & small flock of Gull-billed Terns at the end of Whitehorse Road. Good views of individuals & distinguished black cap/black beak. Also observed were a small flock of White-winged Black Terns (5) at the end of Moolap Station Road.
Chris Pitfield

Pallid Cuckoo Craigieburn 10' Cell
Pallid Cuckoo (2) 1 bird seen atop a tree on Craigieburn Rd near Vearings Lane and another seen while at Plant , possibly the same bird ?
Colin Mulvogue

Blue-billed Duck Mill Park Lakes
Blue-billed Duck , a pair with 5 young ones , great to see . There is another pair also here , hopefully breeding as well.
Colin Mulvogue

White-necked Heron Langwarrin Fauna and Flora Reserve
a single White-necked Heron feeding in the north west corner near McClelland Drive, I almost stood on a copperhead trying to angle for a good photo.
Wayne Butterworth

Wood Sandpiper Conservation Pond, Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
The bird was on the north side of 35 E 8 and was one of the few waders on the pond. It still has a lot of breeding colour. Around the plant there are good numbers of Curlew Sandpiper, Red-necked Stint and Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, also with remnants of breeding plumage.
Jennifer Spry

Blue-billed Duck St Leonards College Bangholme
First siting here after three years of observation
Tom Humphreys

Little Penguin, Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater Point Gellibrand Coastal Heritage Park
Single Little Penguin seen offshore approx. 200m out on glassy water. Also 15 or more Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater flying over in small groups generally heading south along coast, accompanied by several Red Wattlebird also moving south.
Steve Davidson

Brown Falcon Altona East Meat Works
Single Brown Falcon harassing a Barn Owl.
Raoul Symons

Barn Owl Altona East Meat Works
Single Barn Owl flew in when I was taking photos of other raptors. Was harassed by a brown falcon and chased through neighbouring streets by it and 3 little ravens.
Raoul Symons

Chestnut-rumped Heathwren Steiglitz
Chestnut-rumped Heathwren (2) A pair. Excellent extended views, finally getting good visual on this elusive species after hearing it at this location on numerous occasions. Witnessed very impressive mimicry of various birds, rivalling a Lyrebird for skill. Mimicry of Grey Fantail, Scarlet Robin, Corella, Golden Whistler, and returning call of a Blue-winged Parrot flying overhead.
Chris Lindorff

Gang Gang Cockatoo/Australian Reed Warbler Melton
At 08:19Hrs this morning I observed 7 Gang Gang Cockatoos flying overhead whilst watching an Australian Reed warbler at the lake/wetlands south of Darlingsford Blvd Melton near the Western Freeway. According to Les Pickering Gang Gangs travel from the nearby Pyrite Ranges to regularly feed along the creek systems around Melton and return to roost.
David Whelan

Wed 7 Sep Swift Parrot Anakie Township
Swift Parrot (2) Excellent views of a pair feeding high in Yellow Gum at northern edge of the town. Numbers may have dropped off recently, but has been a constant presence of this species in Anakie for a number of months now.
Chris Lindorff

Australian Little Bittern Karkarook Metropolitan Park - Moorabbin
Thanks to Tim Bawden`s original posting on the 26/08/11, I saw my first Little Bittern today, just five minutes away from home! The bird was resting by the waters edge in the middle lake along Warrigal Rd , as you walk Northwards from the observation tower. Even without my glasses, I was able to spot this small water bird, (without binoculars), thanks to its yellowish beak shinning in the sun light, which I initially thought was a dead reed. Fortunately, I was able to put a camera to my eye before dismissing the distant object as just some vegetation and the accompanying image shows what I soon discovered. An immature Little Bittern warming itself in the late afternoon sunshine! Beautiful !
Con Baltas

Buff-banded Rail Daylesford
a single bird seen early this morning in our garden on the edge of town. First sighting for the garden in 16 years.
Neville Pamment

White-bellied Sea-eagle Lake Narracan
Two adult birds together, possibly a new pairing.
Scuzzi

Australian Spotted Crake , Baillons Crake , Buff Banded Rail and Black Tail Native Hen Mill Park Lakes
Australian Spotted Crake (6) 5 Seen at small pond Gabriel Tce. and 1 seen behind Tee tree's in same pond, very active and calling at times. Baillons Crake and Rail seen at same spot , Baillons Crake staying under the cover of the Tee Tree. Latham Snipe flushed from same place , looked for but not located. this is close to where one was seen last year about late September. 3 Native hens have been present here for about a month now. Also 2 Spiny Cheeked HE STILL HERE.
Colin Mulvogue

Nankeen Nigh Heron Flinders Street Station, Melbourne.
I have no idea what this bird was, but I've never seen it in Melbourne. It was as large as an owl. It was in a tree near Flinders Street Station. Looked very out of place. (Moderators note: this birds is a Nankeen Night Heron)
Nick Parr

Tue 6 Sep Barn Owl Leveson Street, North Melbourne
It was a bit of a surprise when I got up and opened the curtains and saw a Barn Owl asleep on our balcony. It stayed all day.
Glenda Gorrie

Little Lorikeet Hay's Paddock Kew
2 Little Lorikeets in yellow flowering Ironbark, amongst abundant Rainbow Lorikeets near Glass Creek at southern of Hay's Paddock.
Alf Forbes

Banded Stilt Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Around 20 (a lot of juveniles) in Paradise Rd Lagoon this afternoon
Dave Torr and others

Hooded Robin, Shining Bronze-cuckoo, Intermediate Egret, Western Gerygone, Diamond Firetail Winton Wetlands and Chesney Hills (Chesney Vale 10' Cell)
Great list today at the Winton Wetlands and nearby Chesney Hills. Highlights at the wetlands were a male Hooded Robin and Shining Bronze-cuckoo (first spring return) in the northern shore woodlands, and at least 2 Intermediate Egret at the duck pond. In the Chesney Hills a Western Gerygone was seen well and a few Diamond Firetail groups were observed here and at the wetlands. Other spring migrants such as Rufous Whistler and Olive-backed Oriole have returned to the wetlands as well. A Pied Cormorant was also observed near the old Lake Mokoan boat ramp along with hundreds of Great Cormorants fishing in large flocks.
Michael Ramsey - Bronzewing Birding Services

Gull-billed Tern Pakenham, corner of Racecourse Road & train line
One bird flying south. Mixed farmland and light industrial.
Lawrie Conole

Barn Owl Docklands
Sitting at my desk a very boring meeting was improved by a Barn Owl flying around the Car park being mobbed by Little Raven's. It ducked in to one of the Lilly Pillies lining the area.
Andrew Hurnard

Cattle Egrets Epsom, near Bendigo
9 Cattle Egrets among small flock of full wool merino sheep. On Midland Highway, almost opposite new Epsom Sporting Complex. Don't often see cattle egrets in this area.
Murray Chambers

Mon 5 Sep Barn Owl St Clements Anglican Church
At 10.30 am Monday, flew across Glenhuntly Road from south to north; landed on church; harassed by magpie and flew off.
Debbie Lustig

Weebill and Forest Raven "Bush Family Reserve" ( Trust for Nature )
Among the 50+ species observed during yesterday's visit, at least 6 Weebills were noted along with a Forest Raven. EGBOC has only scattered records of Weebills on the Gippsland Plains close to Bairnsdale while the record of a Forest Raven may highlight a gradual movement west into more open areas rather than south of previous locations around Lakes Entrance and the Gippsland Lakes.
14 EGBOC members per Len Axen

Speckled Warbler, White-winged Triller, Red-capped Robin, Rose Robin Long Forest Nature Conservation Reserve
Speckled Warbler (1) Djerriwarrh track near Long Forest Rd White-winged Triller (1) Djerriwarrh track close to the creek (it must be Summer!) Red-capped Robin (1) near Djerriwarrh Bermagui track junction Rose Robin (2) Coimandai Ck, Steep Track
Angus Hartshorn

Baillon's (6), Spotless and Spotted crake Wetern Treatment Plant, werribee
All three crake species seen at T-section, pond 4 in amongst the reeds. Gave excellent looks, very close to track. It's a great time to see these and other species at WTP - it seems to be going gangbusters
Mark Hall

Sun 4 Sep White-fronted, Tawny-crowned, Yellow-plumed Honeyeaters, etc Campbells Road, Kamarooka-Greater Bendigo National Park
Found very little action in most of the mallee areas, until I checked out one last spot on Campbells Rd on the top of the first rise. It was chockablock full of honeyeaters & lots of other species. I found a puddle in the middle of it & sat on a deckchair & counted 17 species coming into drink and bathe only 3-5 m away! Highlights were: White-fronted, Yellow-plumed, Tawny-crowned, Purple-gaped Honeyeaters & Shy Heathwren. I got nice photos of most of them.
Kevin Bartram

White-bellied Sea-Eagle Lake Narracan
White-bellied Sea-Eagle (3) one full plumage adult, one in first moult of adult plumage, one juvenile First time I have seen 3rd bird. on private land, North side of lake. Public viewing via Hayes Rd, they are often in the willow tree island just out from the end of that road. Photo is a couple of weeks old, they are regulars here
Scuzzi

Swinhoe's Pheasant (assumed) Mountain Highway, the Dandenongs, about 2km west of Sassafrass
The male was feeding along the side of the road at 9am. It was lunging at a raven that was occasionally got close to it but was unconcerned about me and i got within a metre of it. It froze its position until i moved away and then it continued feeding. Spurs were visible on its legs. I have a photograph
Bruno Rabl

White-bellied Sea-Eagle, Spotted Harrier, Brolga, Banded Stilt, Blue-winged Parrot, Singing Honeyeat Taylor's Lake Reserve
White-bellied Sea-Eagle seen, a pair of adults with at least one chick. Also a Spotted Harrier. 2 Brolga In swamp just to north of lake. 1 Banded Stilt With group of Australasian Grebes. Also a Blue-winged Parrot and Singing Honeyeater.
Tim Mintern

White-backed Swallow North Bendigo
A pair flying over garden sand and soil supply yard in Rohs Road, and constructing nesting tunnel in large mulch pile.Haven't seen this sp in Bendigo before.
Gregg Muller

Rose Robin Glenroy
One heard calling repeatedly this morning in our back garden; heard again this afternoon several times, sighted and called-up to 2m; no rose-coloured breast on this individual.
Charles Silveira

Sat 3 Sep Black Falcon Near Ford Testing grounds, Lara
Solitary Black Falcon clearly identified on road to Bacchus Marsh just north of Ford Testing centre. Was chasing magpie lark
Andrew Martin

Painted Honeyeater Earlston, 13 km north of Violet Town
One bird recorded - first for season and first record locally since 2006
Doug Robinson

Swift Parrot, Black-chinned and Spiny-cheeked Honeyeaters, Purple-crowned and Musk Lorikeets You Yangs Regional Park
These were some of the highlights on the BA-BOCA boneseeding day. We recorded approximately 50 species in all. Lorikeets and Honeyeaters were particularly numerous.
Merrilyn Serong and 14 others

Barn Owl East Melbourne
One heard calling at dusk near Cook's Cottage, Fitzroy Gardens; later on, after the AFL match, one well-lit individual seen between the MCG and Jolimont station flying towards Fitzroy Gardens ~30 m high.
Charles Silveira

Fri 2 Sep Regent Parrot Hattah Kulkyne
Ten Regent parrots flew across the Mournpall Road in the northern part of the park. They were flying at high speed, about 2 metres from the ground heading west at about 8AM.
David Spicer

Cattle Egret Bacchus Marsh
About 5 Cattle Egrets seen among very small herd of cattle on vacant lot, intersection of Bacchus Marsh - Gisborne Road & Western Freeway. Just to the left of the off ramp leading from highway to Bacchus Marsh.
Daryl Akers

Tue 30 Aug Pink Cockatoo, Regent Parrot Lake Mournpall Campground - Hattah Kulkyne
A single Pink cockatoo was lookong at hollows in a red gum in the centre of the campground. Two Regent parrots flew over the campground heading east toward the Murray.
David Spicer

Mon 29 Aug Regent Parrot Robinvale
A flock of six Regent Parrots flew across the Murray Valley Highway just on the NSW side of the bridge and landed in a Black Box Eucalypt beside the road.
David Spicer

Peregrine Falcon Tambo Upper
EGBOC members were rewarded with extended views of a pair of nesting Pergrnie Falcons at "the cliffs" on the Tambo River early this morning.
12 EGBOC members per Len Axen

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by Birds Australia - Victoria and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.