birding-aus

Birdline Western Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Western Australia Weekly Update
Date: 12 Sep 2011 01:31:03 +1000

Birdline Western Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 11 Sep 2011.

Fri 9 Sep Red-capped Parrot and Red-eared Firetail. Lake Monjingup, Esperance Shire, Western Australia
Both found on heath trail, around midday.
Bruce Roubin

Sat 3 Sep Java Sparrow VQ3 Lodge, Christmas Island
In my view this species is dying a natural death due to unknown causes, similar to its eventual extirpation from Singapore. I personally doubt that 200-300 birds still persist in the settlement. I spent weeks trying to pin some down before receiving a tip-off from Mark Holdsworth that some visit the well-watered lawn behind the concrete water tank opposite the VQ 3 Lodge where the owners provide a bird bath and bread crumbs for the sparrows there. Hordes visited the gardens at the crack of dawn and after 30 minutes of waiting I managed 2 individuals briefly before they flew off in the direction of the Kampong at around 6:30am.
Per Albert Low (Birding-Aus email)

Glossy Ibis Central Area Workshop, Christmas Island
One was present at the Central Area Workshop on 3rd September 2011
Per Albert Low (Birding-Aus email)

Wed 31 Aug Abbott's Booby Territory Day Park, Christmas Island
While common and apparently expanding in range throughout the Western and Central portions of the islands, I understood that they were still rarely seen in the settlement. My only sighting within the Settlement in 6 weeks of fieldwork were a pair soaring around Territory Day Park on 31 August 2011 at 8:30am
Per Albert Low (Birding-Aus email)

Grey Wagtail LB4 Lookout, Christmas Island
My first sighting of this migrant was 2 individuals along the East-West Baseline not far from the LB4 Lookout on 31 August 2011.
Per Albert Low (Birding-Aus email)

Sun 28 Aug Barn Swallow Rubbish Tip, Christmas Island
The first Barn Swallows of the season which I observed were 5 individuals at the fly-infested Rubbish Tip on 28 August 2011. They were still present on 31 August 2011.
Per Albert Low (Birding-Aus email)

Fri 12 Aug Asian Koel Christmas Island Settlement, Christmas Island
I met Mr Joel, a keen photographer who lived along Sea View Drive in Silver City who asked me to identify some birds he had photographed. One of his pictures showed an unmistakable female Asian Koel feeding on Papaya in his backyard. He informed me that the bird also frequently "made loud noises" at dawn. I subsequently had 2 sightings of a female Koel on the same date (12 August). The first was a female flying across Sea View Drive at 9am in the morning. Subsequently, I encountered another (same?) female flying from tree to tree down at Triadic Crescent on the edge of the settlement on the same day. Unlikely the Asian Koels I am used to in Singapore, these birds were very wary and never allowed close approach, taking flight the moment I got within 15 metres of the tree they were in. The only time I heard Koels was at 6am on Saturday 3rd September where one called briefly from the escarpment behind the VQ 3 Lodge. Neil Hamilton also showed me pictures of a male Koel that he photographed at Sea View Drive back in 2008, so there might be a tiny population persisting on island.
Per Albert Low (Birding-Aus email)

Sat 23 Jul Black-winged Stilt Flying Fish Cove, Christmas Island
An adult and a juvenile bird were first reported by Mark Holdsworth on 22 July along the beach at Flying Fish Cove and I subsequently saw the pair the following day on the 23th.
Per Albert Low (Birding-Aus email)

Tue 19 Jul Australian Pratincole Christmas Island Airport, Christmas Island
A group of 4 were observed on the runway when I first arrived on the island on 19 July. Over the course of the next 6 weeks I made 3 visits to the airport and saw at least 1-2 birds on all occasions, although views were always distant compared to my initial sighting.
Per Albert Low (Birding-Aus email)

Birdline Western Australia is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.