birding-aus

Eaglehawk Neck, Tasmania - Pelagic Reports 3&4 Sept 2011 - photos. TWO n

To: Mike Carter <>, Daniel Mantle <>, "" <>
Subject: Eaglehawk Neck, Tasmania - Pelagic Reports 3&4 Sept 2011 - photos. TWO not one CHATHAM ALBATROSS?
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 20:57:45 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Mike,

Interesting point! I had a look through the posted pictures again - although I
haven't had a chance yet to look through all pictures. It appears that the
mandibular unguis seen from the right looks paler than seen from the left. If
you look at the shape of the gray/white border at the neck, there is a slight
irregularity on the right side seen on most pictures (from the right) but #9889
and #0003 (in both cases the angle makes it difficult to impossible to see that
particular area). On the left side there is a very conspicuous pattern with a
line diverging from the left laterodorsal base of the hood towards the chest.
This is seen on all pictures where the angle makes it possible to judge.

Therefore I believe that it is only one bird and that the difference seen in
the mandibular unguis is a combination of as asymmetry (R<L) and a "trick of
light".
What do you think, Mike?

Dan, David (M) and Rob, what do you think? What do your pictures show?

Cheers,

Nikolas

Nikolas Haass

Sydney, NSW