birding-aus

Eaglehawk Neck, Tasmania - Pelagic Reports 3&4 Sept 2011

To: <>
Subject: Eaglehawk Neck, Tasmania - Pelagic Reports 3&4 Sept 2011
From: Daniel Mantle <>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 04:46:14 +0100

Hi All,

Just a quick post
listing the species we saw off Eaglehawk Neck, Tasmania this weekend. We had
two great pelagics aboard the Pauletta (with John Males) with good viewing
conditions both days.

Unfortunately I don’t
have time to do these reports justice before I head overseas (am writing this
at the airport) - some great birds and great conditions for
photography.

Maybe some of the
others will comment on the excitement of watching the Chatham Albatross
(Thalassarche eremita or T. cauta eremita if you prefer) come in
to the back on the boat at the second berley point on the Saturday trip and no
doubt a few of the photographers will post images to their websites in due
course.
I don't think any of us were too sure how many times Chatham Albatross have
been seen off Aus - we were aware of at least one adult off Wollongong and I am
pretty sure there are a few Tassie records but not sure of many more than that.
Does anyone know more details?

Cheers Dan

(and thanks to
everyone on board for a really fun weekend)

Eaglehawk Neck –
Saturday 3 Sept 2011

Vessel: Pauletta
(skipper John Males)

Participants: Stuart
Pickering, David Mitford, Micha Jackson, Pete Kyne, Rob Hynson, Raja
Stephenson, Nikolas Haass, Paul Brooks, Jeremy, Els Wakefield, Dan Mantle

Weather: 15-17 knot
northerlies, 1-1.5m waves with only a very low swell, bright, dry day with
minimal cloud cover.

First Berley Point: 42˚ 69 051S   148˚ 17 495S   (200 fathoms)

Second Berley Point:
42˚ 57
886S   148˚ 19 767E   (400 fathoms)

Birds: numbers given
are a rough guess for the total for the day (the maximum number seen at one
time is given in parentheses)

Fairy Prion 1000+
(100)

Slender-billed Prion 2
(2)

Grey-backed
Storm-petrel 5 (2)

White-faced
Storm-petrel 3 (1)

Sooty Shearwater 1 (1)

‘Fluttering-type’
Shearwater 1 (1)

Common Diving-Petrel
30+ (8)

Cape Petrel 10+ (8)

Soft-plumaged Petrel 2
(1)

White-headed Petrel 6
(1)

Great-winged Petrel
30+ (8) – predominantly macroptera but
including at least 2/3 gouldi

Northern Giant Petrel
2 (2)

Northern Royal
Albatross 1 (1) Adult

Southern Royal
Albatross 1 (1) Imm

Wandering Albatross 6
(2) – incl. at least one good candidate for gibsoni,
the rest were considered to be mostly gibsoni/exulans

Black-browed Albatross
– melanophrys 2 (1)

(Indian) Yellow-nosed
Albatross 3 (1)

Buller’s Albatross 1
(1)

Shy Albatross – cauta/steadi 60 (12)

Salvin’s Albatross 1
(1) Adult

Chatham Albatross 1
(1) Adult

Light-mantled Sooty
Albatross 1 (1)

Crested Tern 10 (3)

Australasian Gannet 12
(4)

Silver Gull

Pacific Gull

Kelp Gull

White-bellied
Sea-Eagle 2 (2)

Eaglehawk Neck –
Sunday 4 Sept 2011

Vessel: Pauletta
(skipper John Males)

Participants: Stuart
Pickering, David Mitford, Micha Jackson, Pete Kyne, Rob Hynson, Raja
Stephenson, Nikolas Haass, Kate Godman, Els Wakefield, Dan Mantle

Weather: 15-20 knot
northerlies switching to north-westerlies, 1.5-2.5m waves with only a very low
swell, overcast, scattered showers later in the day.

Berley Point: 43˚ 00 309S   148˚ 17 759S   (350 fathoms)

Birds: numbers given
are a rough guess for the total for the day (the maximum number seen at one
time is given in parentheses)

Fairy Prion 200 (40)

Grey-backed
Storm-petrel 8 (3)

White-faced
Storm-petrel 3 (1)

Sooty Shearwater 4 (1)

Hutton’s Shearwater 1
(1)

Common Diving-Petrel
50+ (14)

Cape Petrel 50 (21)

Soft-plumaged Petrel 2
(1)

White-headed Petrel 8
(3)

Providence Petrel 2
(1)

Great-winged Petrel 60
(20) – predominantly macroptera but
including at least 2/3 gouldi

Northern Giant Petrel
1 (1)

Southern Royal
Albatross 2 (1) Adult and Imm

Wandering Albatross 10
(8) – incl. at least 1 antipodensis,
1 gibsoni, 1 exulans, the rest were considered to be mostly gibsoni/exulans

Black-browed Albatross
– melanophrys 5 (3)

            –
impavida 2 (1)