birding-aus

Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest

To: <>
Subject: Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest
From: "Birdpedia - Australia Info" <>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 00:05:05 +0930
The following is a digest of Sightings Reported on Birdpedia for the period
Monday, August 22, 2011 to Sunday, August 28, 2011:

Area: SA

Date: Thursday, August 4, 2011

Location: Flinders Ranges National Park SA

Orange Chat (Epthianura aurifrons) (20)

Dates of sightings: 4, 6, 8 & 10 August 2011 Times: Sighting times varied from
12:30, 1:00, 3:15 & 5:00pm

Location: Brachina Gorge Rd (Geological Trail) sightings occurred between 500m
and 1km from Blinman Rd turnoff.

First sighting as flock of approx 20 birds flew across the road and settled on
low shrubs. Open land with grass and low shrubs; males perched on dead
twig/branches.

Reported by: Michelle Foster on Monday, August 22, 2011

Date: Friday, August 19, 2011

Location: Cowarie Station, Birdsville track

Black-breasted Buzzard (Hamirostra melanosternon) (2) 1 ad, 1 imm

Black Falcon (Falco subniger) (2)

Flock Bronzewing (Phaps histrionica) (700) in various flocks, flying around
just before sunset

Gibberbird (Ashbyia lovensis) (2)

Eyrean Grasswren (Amytornis goyderi) (2)

Red-browed Pardalote (Pardalotus rubricatus) (1)

Banded Whiteface (Aphelocephala nigricincta) (2)

Cinnamon Quail-thrush (Cinclosoma cinnamomeum) (13)

Reported by: Peter Waanders on Monday, August 22, 2011

More Information: More Information...

Date: Saturday, August 20, 2011

Location: Black Point, YP

Painted Button-quail (Turnix varius) (2) 2 birds were seen in the grass in the
Reserve behind the beachhouses. They quickly disappeared into the nearby
shrubbery. This is the first time that I have seen them there. There were a
number of their platelets where I surprised them, & I was led to them by their
'oom' call, which I must admit that I had thought to be those of distant
Bronzewing.

Reported by: Margaret Tiller on Monday, August 22, 2011

Date: Saturday, August 20, 2011

Location: Nelshaby Resevoir, sFR

Baillon's Crake (Porzana pusilla) (1) 2 nervous birds seen at water's edge
approximately 100m apart.
Observed for a couple of minutes by Alan Jamieson & Jane White.

Reported by: Alan Jamieson on Monday, August 22, 2011

Date: Sunday, August 21, 2011

Location: Black Point sandspit

Double-banded Plover (Charadrius bicinctus) (39) I visited the sandspit at 0730
hrs, which was high tide, to check whether these birds were still here. I was
concerned that the flock I saw of 43 on 10/08/2011, which were in full breeding
plumage, might have set off for NZ & flown into their recent icy weather. As I
reached the sandspit a heavy sea fog rolled in, which lasted for about 2 hours,
so it was not easy to count, but 39 was the most reliable number I came up
with. I am assuming that all the flock was still there, which I was relieved to
see. I am posting a photo taken on 10/08/2011, when the light was good!

Red-necked Stint (Calidris ruficollis) (50) I was interested to see that 1 of
the Stints was in breeding plumage. There is a flock of about 50 which
overwinters, so I am assuming that 1 of them coloured up, as the migrating
birds don't arrive yet.

Reported by: Margaret Tiller on Monday, August 22, 2011

Date: Monday, August 22, 2011

Location: Larating Wetlands, Mt Barker

Spotless Crake (Porzana tabuensis) (1) seen flying low from one reedbed across
to another and back again after a couple of minutes.

Little Grassbird (Megalurus gramineus) (3) Sptted in reeds in various ponds and
many more heard.

Reported by: Michelle Foster on Monday, August 22, 2011

Date: Monday, August 22, 2011

Location: Cotton St, Ovingham

Laughing Kookaburra (Dacelo novaeguineae) (2) Two were sitting on the roof of
the Mormon church at the south end of Cotton St (corner of Torrens Rd and
Fitzroy Tce). Have not seen them in Ovingham in the twenty years I have lived
there.  They were being mobbed by some Magpie Larks.

Reported by: David Cox on Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Date: Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Location: Coppermine Road, Williamstown

Square-tailed Kite (Lophoictinia isura) (1) one bird observed for about 5
minutes flying over tree canopy between private property and Hale Conservation
Park.

Reported by: Amanda Pearce on Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Date: Thursday, August 25, 2011

Location: Murray mouth

Eastern Curlew (Numenius madagascariensis) (2) Birds were observed from the
lookout to the Murry Mouth. Birds were flying low in a northerly direction. 300
Pelicans and close to 2000 Crested terns were also seen.

Reported by: Winston Syson on Thursday, August 25, 2011

Date: Thursday, August 25, 2011

Location: Barrage road Goolwa

Latham's Snipe (Gallinago hardwickii) (1) Single bird was observed from the
bird hide on Barrage Rd. Right hand side of hide in long grass near to road.

Buff-banded Rail (Gallirallus philippensis) (3) birds were feeding in muddy
area on the channel margine and close to lignum clumps about 200mts short of
Beacon 19.

Reported by: Winston Syson on Thursday, August 25, 2011