birding-aus

Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest

To: <>
Subject: Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest
From: "Birdpedia - Australia Info" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 00:05:05 +0930
The following is a digest of Sightings Reported on Birdpedia for the period
Monday, August 8, 2011 to Sunday, August 14, 2011:

Area: SA

Date: Friday, August 5, 2011

Location: Lily Ave, Campbelltown

Buff-banded Rail (Gallirallus philippensis) (1) A bird rescued from the jaws of
a cat in front garden across the road my place. Kept overnight for observation
and released the next morning along the creek at linear park.

Reported by: Annette Smith on Monday, August 8, 2011

Date: Sunday, August 7, 2011

Location: Lethem, South west Guyana

Rock Dove (Columba livia) (1) Please excuse this report for another country but
we just have to brag. Here SA doesn't mean South Aust, it means South America.
We are very happy to report that we didn't actually see a rock dove in Lethem,
Guyana, one of the few places they have not yet reached. We did see :
     A pair of Guyanan Cock o' the Rock. The male is brilliant orange with a
large crest, quite spectacular
     A paid of red-and-green macaws
     A pair of blue-and-yellow macaws
     A pair of double-striped thick knees (similar to ours)
And we may as well brag about the pair of scarlet macaws we saw in the jungle
in the Amazon and the 4 hyacinth macaws in the Pantanal, both in Brazil.

Reported by: Barbara and Peter Bansemer on Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Date: Monday, August 8, 2011

Location: My property, Two Wells RD, Buchfelde nr Gawler

Buff-banded Rail (Gallirallus philippensis) (1) Just feeding our horses when
the rail ran across in front of me, then stood still looking around flicking
its tail. My wife and I could get within a few feet of the bird without it
taking any notice. Eventually it moved into the undergrowth and along on our
fence line. First time I've seen this species and we've been here 9 years.

Reported by: Richard Woodland on Monday, August 8, 2011

Date: Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Location: Aldinga Washpool

Buff-banded Rail (Gallirallus philippensis) (4) Eventually made out four birds
and some good views of them late in the day.

Australian Spotted Crake (Porzana fluminea) (4) Four Spotted Crake in the same
area as the Buff-banded Rail. They all seem to be in pairs.

I am continuing with the Buff-banded Rail story as they are everywhere.  My
other sightings have been, one at Renmark, 3 at Coorong Narrung Peninsular, 3
Myponga Beach and 3 at Blockers Rd Myponga.

Reported by: Teresa Jack on Thursday, August 11, 2011

Date: Thursday, August 11, 2011

Location: Lobethal/Charleston area

Buff-banded Rail (Gallirallus philippensis) (1) 8th August- Single bird flushed
from dense phalaris along Sandy Waterhole Road,1km south of Charleston C.P.It
seems these birds are everywhere this year,including around Lake
Alexandrina,where my family and I have observed many over the last few months.

Brown Quail (Coturnix ypsilophora) (1) One was in dense grassland and
revegetation along Western Branch Creek near the Lobethal Oval.

Reported by: Nathaniel Doecke on Thursday, August 11, 2011