birding-aus

Birdline Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Australia Weekly Update
Date: 1 Aug 2011 01:30:20 +1000

Birdline Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 31 Jul 2011.

Wed 27 Jul Northern Shoveler Western Treatment Plant, Werribee, Victoria
Further to earlier report (which I phoned in via John Barkla) the male Northern Shoveler was with a small group of Australasian Shoveler among the trees on Lake Borrie this morning. Other highlights were numbers of Buff-banded Rails (at least 8) and a similar number of Spotted Crakes. Cape Barren Geese were also nesting on Borrie.
Dave Torr, Peter Gibbons, Iian Denham and Michael Kessler

Northern Shoveler Lake Borrie, Western Treatment Plant, Victoria
Dave Torr just called me to say he is looking at a Northern Shoveler on Lake Borrie with an overseas visitor.
Dave Torr et al.

Sat 23 Jul Scarlet-chested Parrot Gluepot Reserve, South Australia
A pair checking nest hollows.
Helga Kieskamp

Tue 19 Jul Grey Honeyeater Cue W.A., Western Australia
I stopped approx 8 kms north of Cue and searched the area on the eastern side of the highway. I had at least five Grey Honeyeaters within a few minutes all around me! I managed around 50 photographs (okay, not all clear) before moving on. The previous four days was steady rain according to locals so today's clear conditions may have brought them out.
Gary Oliver

Birdline Australia is sponsored by Birds Australia and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.