birding-aus

Fw: Sound Recording Bird Calls

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Fw: Sound Recording Bird Calls
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 20:03:40 +1000
Thank you, Mike, for passing on David Stewart’s request.

David may not remember but I met him a long time ago when I showed him the SIPO
at Clontarf on the Redcliffe peninsular in SE Qld. I, of course, had known of
David before that event and it was a ‘moment’ for me to meet him.
Unfortunately, one might say, this was at a time when I had decided to get
involved in bird-photography rather than bird-song recording. In those days I
had ‘dabbled’ in bird-song recording but, like most birdwatchers, had become
confused and daunted by the process. In those days bird-song recording was done
on tape and the ‘good gear’ was a little out of the range of my finances. I was
‘familiar’ with photography and that is what I gravitated to although I always
have had the sneaking suspicion that I should have ‘gone to recording’.
In the interim I have watched the recording ‘scene’ but I have never been
convinced that it could be better than photography. That is, until last year.

last year, through a process of serendipity, I met a wonderful person who
records Pied Butcherbird calls and puts their calls to music.
I was even able to observe ‘H’ as she recorded the Pieds near where I live. I
hope I never forget that.
‘H’ even allowed me to record one Pied Butcherbird while she recorded another a
little further away. ‘H’ had the ‘good’ gear (I like ‘gear’) while I used the
back-up recorder.
This recorder was something that would be a good device for birdwatchers to
consider but it has since been superseded.
The recorder I was trusted with was, from memory, an Olympus LS-10, but that
has been superseded by the LS-11. I am not sure the LS-11 is better but the
LS-10 may no longer be available. As I understand it, the LS-10 was/is
considered by nature sound recordees to be more than acceptable for the purpose.

Seeing and using that recorder (and meeting ‘H’) awakened an interest in
recording bird-song but I have to admit I am too deeply committed to
bird-photography to change direction now. Today I spent a couple of hours
photographing a Wandering Tattler during which time the bird spent at least
half an hour ‘sleeping’ a mere 12 metres from me. Happenings like that keep me
connected with birding but I would encourage birders who are not committed to
photography to think seriously about bird-song recording. It certainly would be
a lot less financially devastating than digital photography and it would be at
least as absorbing and fulfilling.

Incidentally, for those birdwatchers who are colour blind, recording song can
be a rewarding activity. “Seeing” birds by their song (or sonograms on a PC
monitor) can be very exciting.
And, it would be a case of doing something more than “the average”.

Bob Inglis
Sandstone Point
Qld