birding-aus

My Top 10

To: <>
Subject: My Top 10
From: "Graeme Gallienne" <>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 13:35:03 +1000

Hi All,

After speaking with other club members this morning, I decided I'd have a go
at producing a list of the Top 10 places I've birded, especially as no-one
in the SE Qld area has mentioned Eagleby Wetlands.  When viewing this list
please keep in mind that I've never been to SA, NT or WA, so here are my top
10 for the eastern states:

1.        Eagleby Wetlands - a place where over 100 species can be recorded
in 3.5 hours as happened on Sunday 14th Aug 2011 - albeit with 32 observers.
We often get a list of over 80 on club outings.

2.       Werribee STW - a place I've only been to once but with an expert
guide like John Barkla saw over 80 species including Orange-bellied Parrot
and numbers of waterbirds like I've never seen before.

3.       Lockyer Valley - a place that always has something different turn
up - Ground Cuckoo Shrike, Glossy Black Cockatoo, Red-tailed Black Cockatoo
and Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo as well as many other parrot species,
waterbirds and ducks and all so close to Brisbane.

4.       Kingfisher Park, Julatten - I don't need to explain!

5.       Lamington National Park - especially the O'Reilly's end.

6.       Iluka and the whole of the Lower Clarence Valley - a place where I
lived in my early twenties - the variety of birds found there from Pelagics
to Rainforest to bushland and waders never ceased to amaze me and hold my
interest.

7.       Lake Cargelligo and Round Hill/Nombinnie - I've only recently
visited this area but for the short time I was there saw a diverse selection
of waterfowl and mallee species such as Great Crested Grebe, Chestnut
Quail-Thrush and Yellow-plumed Honeyeater.

8.       Karumba - A place I visited just after the wet season several years
ago and there were literally hundreds of Pied Herons chasing insects under
the street lights and we saw at least 5 Barking Owls doing the same, as well
as many other northern species such as Saurus Crane, Brolga, Magpie Geese,
Whistling Ducks, a Peregrine Falcon, Yellow White Eye and hundreds of Black
Kites circling over just one river.

9.       Mt Tamborine - a place with diverse habitats where Albert Lyrebirds
still thrive and Satin and Regent Bowerbirds are found, a place not far from
my own property where I have a species list of over 160.

10.   Three sites come in in 10th place - Goobang National Park in Central
NSW, Inskip Point in Qld and Mt Field in Tasmania.

Cheers,

Sandra Gallienne

Secretary

BrisBOCA