birding-aus

My Top 10

To: <>
Subject: My Top 10
From: "Gemfyre" <>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 15:44:34 +0800
I haven't had much chance to bird outside of W.A. But I figured I'd throw in my list.

1. Broome Bird Observatory

It's even better if you can stay for almost a year (I had the pleasure of being an assistant warden and staying 9 months) so you can experience the whole cycle of life there. Waders come and go, the land gets very wet then very dry and the bushland changes completely. The amount of people also drastically changes!

2. Dryandra Woodland & Tutanning Reserve

These reserves are relatively close together and have similar vegetation. There are various vegetation types - mallee, wandoo, heathland and thus lots of different birds, including a big handful of south-west endemics. It's also the best place to see a wild numbat, but we're talking birds here.

3. Herdsman Lake - Perth

6km out of Perth city. A couple of hours walking can yield up to 50 species. One day during a half-hour lunch break I managed to get 10 species of duck - including the sought after Freckled Duck.

4. Cheyne's Beach

One of the best caravan parks I have been to, right next to bushland where you can find the "Big 3". I have only seen the Bristelbird so far and heard the other two. Apparently a Scrub-bird ran across the road about a meter behind me, but I was busy looking at the pod of right whales in the bay nearby!

5. Werribee Sewage Treatment Farm

I've only been here once, but it was a great day full of waders and new birds for me. Unfortunately I didn't manage to see the Orange-bellied Parrot, despite looking for them for 4 hours.

6. Pemberton/Manjimup area

Just a beautiful environment to be in anyway. Fairy-wrens, robins, firetails and parrots are just a bonus.

7. Port Augusta Botanical Park

Was only here for an hour, but from what I saw I'd definitely like to go back. Right on the edge of various zones, some interesting species pop up here.

8. Lake Monger - Perth

Another lake very close to Perth city and easy to walk all the way around. One of the best spots to look for crakes and rails, also has an abundance of other waterfowl.

9. 6 Mile Creek - Port Hedland

Another brilliant spot for waders, as well as a few mangrove specialties.

10. Nallan Station

Another spot I need to return to. An easy to observe Western Bowerbird bower, cosy accomodation and the chance to see species such as Bourke's Parrot, Crimson Chat and Grey Honeyeater - unfortunately I saw none of these when I was there in March.

Belinda
Stirling W.A.