birding-aus

Trip report Outback SA and Alice Springs and "tickable views"

Subject: Trip report Outback SA and Alice Springs and "tickable views"
From: Gary Wright <>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 07:27:54 +0930
Hi David

It is possible that you saw the slaty backed thornbill.  I say this as when
I lived in Alice I wondered how come I wasn't seeing them and it was because
I was putting too much emphasis on the eye colour.  PIzzey shows the eye as
being bright red but HANZAB shows a brown and gives a description of reddish
brown.  I brought my problem of not seeing them to this forum and somebody
who I can't remember alerted me to the eye problem and sent me some photos
of slaty backs.

Since then I have got HANZAB and the contrast in the illustrations in Pizzey
and HANZAB is striking.

Gary