birding-aus

Antarctic penguins losing to climate change through 80% krill decline

To: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Subject: Antarctic penguins losing to climate change through 80% krill decline
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 13:13:50 +1000
Reason? What next, logic?

Carl Clifford

On 14/04/2011, at 1:00 PM, Stephen Ambrose wrote:

I think that the reasons for declines in penguin numbers are likely to be due to multiple rather than single reasons. For instance, I've read several
papers over the last 10-12 years which indicate that ocean warming has
changed ocean currents, moving food resources (such as krill) further away from penguin breeding colonies, thus lowering penguin breeding success. I
suggest that reason should be added to all the other reasons that
Birding-aussers have suggested.

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde, NSW