birding-aus

D'Aguilar NP - SE QLD - Today

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: D'Aguilar NP - SE QLD - Today
From: Nick Leseberg <>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 06:19:57 +0000
Hi All,

Spent a few hours this morning dodging rain showers and birding in the
D'Aguilar NP west of Brisbane.

Didn't see anything especially exciting, but racked up a reasonable list. At
Maiala I saw Paradise Riflebird without having to leave the car, and along the
Goat Track were both Spectacled and Black-faced Monarchs, Topknot Pigeons and
plenty of Satin Bowerbirds. Boombana was birdy, with plenty of Eastern
Whipbirds around including young, both monarchs again, Varied Sitellas,
Cicadabirds, Regent Bowerbirds, Yellow-throated Scrubwrens, Pale Yellow Robins
and a host of other expected species.

The highlight was actually not the birds. At Boombana a scuffle in the
undergrowth caught my attention, but I couldn't see the cause until I got close
enough to see a Rough-scaled Snake which had caught what I think was a young
Long-nosed Bandicoot. There was an adult bandicoot nearby that was quite
agitated, and I assume was the mother? I watched as the snake 'subdued' the
bandicoot then proceeded to swallow it. Have seen this plenty of times with pet
snakes, but never in the wild! Got some average photos, but unfortunately it
was dark in the forest and there was plenty of foliage in the way.

Good Birding!

Nick Leseberg
Tropical Birding
www.tropicalbirding.com