birding-aus

Indian Cuckoo on the Cocos Islands

To: "" <>
Subject: Indian Cuckoo on the Cocos Islands
From: Rohan Clarke <>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 21:23:28 +1100
Hi All,

On the 2nd Feb I photographed an Indian Cuckoo /Cuculus micropterus/ near the quarantine station on West Island, Cocos Islands. At the time it was recognised as significant but given some superficial similarities to Oriental Cuckoo I had to wait until I could check references and trawl through my collection of Oriental Cuckoo images before I was confident of the ID. Indian Cuckoo has never before been reported from Australia or its territories. Many thanks to Jeff Davies and Danny Rogers for their opinions on the ID and for ongoing discussion regarding the bird's plumage and the subspecies/form that it belongs to. At this stage we are confident it is one of the migrant forms based on size and structure but much is yet to be resolved.

A few pics of the bird are here:

http://www.pbase.com/wildlifeimages/indian_cuckoo

Features that identify the bird as an Indian Cuckoo include:

1) the broad dark terminal tail band that is much broader than in Oriental Cuckoo (or the near identical Himalayan Cuckoo). Oriental Cuckoos show a dark terminal tail band that is always quite narrow in grey birds and only slightly broader in hepatic birds. 2) Rather compact, as opposed to elongated, structure. That is while the bird is about the same size as an Oriental Cuckoo it does not show the elongated rear end (wings and tail) of that species.
3) A proportionally large head.
4) Broad buff tips to retained juvenile tertials (broader than one would expect in juv Oriental Cuckoo). 5) Pale spots in the central tail feathers (T1) limited to white shaft streaks. This feature appears to be common in Indian Cuckoo but rare in Oriental Cuckoo. 6) Even allowing for mottled plumage on the head, there seems to be rather more contrast between a pale head and dark dorsum than one would expect for Oriental Cuckoo.

It doesn't appear that this bird was ever twitchable as Adrian Boyle, George Swann and I revisited the site on a number of subsequent days but were never able to relocate it.

I'll post a complete trip report in the next day or so.

Cheers,

Rohan

--
Rohan Clarke