birding-aus

Port Stephens pelagic trip report Sun 31st Jan 2011

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Port Stephens pelagic trip report Sun 31st Jan 2011
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 02:48:38 -0800 (PST)
Port Stephens Pelagic Trip Report - Sun 31st Jan 2011

Boat: M.V.Argonaut, skippered by Ray Horsefield

OBSERVERS
Graeme O’Connor, Nick Livanos, Michael Kearns, Greg Little, Win Filewood,
Amanda
Lilleyman, Dick Jenkin, Joy Nichols, Allan Richardson, Rick McEdward (USA),
Mike
Newman, Alan Stuart, Steve Roderick and Mick Roderick (leader and organiser).

CONDITIONS
A reasonably comfortable day with a moderate swell, possibly associated with
Cyclone Wilma which moved through the Pacific this week, reaching New Zealand
on
Friday night. Winds were generally northerly for the whole day, 5 to 10 knots,
strengthening and swinging more nor-east about half-way back to port in the
afternoon. Water temperature reached 26 degrees at the shelf, with only
slightly
cooler water modelled closer in.

HIGHLIGHTS
13 species recorded outside of the heads, with the highlight being an approach
to the boat by two Cookilarias, one which came right to the back of the boat
and
across the slick, confirmed to be a Gould’s Petrel. The other bird was likely a
Gould’s but this could not be confirmed and was one of 3 unidentified
Cookilarias for the day. Seeing one Wandering Albatross in January in such warm
water was interesting, but to see 2 was definitely a highlight of the day.

SUMMARY
DepartedNelson Bay Public Wharfat 0700, returning at 1710.

It did not take long for the Wedge-tailed Shearwaters to show interest in the
boat and this was to be a theme for the day – hungry birds. About 3km from the
heads a group of about 50 Wedgies started feeding in the wake of the moving
vessel, with a few Fleshy-foots mixed in. These birds followed us all the way
the shelf and likely most of them followed us the way back. A Short-tailed
Shearwaters and a handful of Fluttering Shearwaters appeared during the trip
out
as well.

Once at the shelf we set up a drift at 32 54 57 / 152 35 04 and before long we
had our first Great-winged (Grey-faced) Petrel. Two young Pomarine Jaegers also
came in and stayed faithful to the boat for the entire time we were drifting.
After about 20 minutes someone suggested an albatross was headed for the boat
and sure enough into view came a Wandering Albatross, probably an adult
Gibson’s, but kept on going. Not long after, a second separate Wanderer zoomed
in on the boat. This bird was rather hungry and happily accompanied the
shearwaters for a feed for a couple of hours.

Steve then gave the cry of “Cookilaria!” as bird came into view on the horizon.
Then a second bird appear slightly starboard of the first. The initial bird
peeled away and wasn’t identified, though the second bird honed right in on the
boat and gave all on board spectacular views of a Gould’s Petrel. After
circling
the boat and giving some attention to the boat, it flew off out of view.

A feature of the day was the lack of Stormies and it took nearly 2 hours at the
shelf before our first of 3 White-faced appeared downwind of the slick. After
another fleeting glimpse of a distant Cookilaria, we set for port, seeing our
first Sooty Shearwater for the day as we did. No new species were added to the
day’s list for return leg, though we did see a few more Sooty Shearwaters (i.e.
a few more than usual) and quite a few Short-taileds as well. Oh, and another
unidentified distant Cookilaria made it 3 of those in the notebook for the day.

Cheers,
Mick Roderick

BIRDS

Species: Total (maximum number around the boat at one time)

White-faced Storm-petrel: 3 (1)

Wandering Albatross: 2 (1)

Fluttering Shearwater: 4 (1)

Fluttering-type Shearwater: 3 (1)

Wedge-tailed Shearwater: 400 (250)

Flesh-footed Shearwater: 20 (6)

Short-tailed Shearwater: 40 (20)

Sooty Shearwater: 6 (2)

Great-winged (Grey-faced) Petrel: 4 (2)

GOULD’S PETREL: 1

Cookilaria-type Petrel (Pterodroma spp.): 3 (1)

Australasian Gannet: 1

Crested Tern: 8 (5)

Pomarine Jaeger: 10 (4)

Silver Gull: 6 (6)