birding-aus

feral dogs and birding

To: "'Denise Goodfellow'" <>, <>, "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: feral dogs and birding
From: "Scott O'Keeffe" <>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 22:55:35 +1000
Most 'dingos' near any human populations are hybridised with 'domestic' dogs
anyway.  From the point of view of safety, its pretty much an academic
point.  Any dog, dingo, pet, feral... whatever, has some potential to be
dangerous.  A very large number of the 'dingo' attacks I have had to
investigate turn out to be domestic dogs free-ranging in loose packs, or
hybrid dogs.

That said, police in some US jurisdictions train Jack Russell Terriers as
attack dogs.  Knowing how energetic they are, how they can jump, and how
tenacious they can be, I think a marauding group of Jack Russells would be
quite terrifying.

When I'm out anywhere, be it city, park, or bush, I give them all plenty of
respect and a wide berth.

Scott O'Keeffe

Ps.  Citronella has been demonstrated as quite ineffective as an insect
repellent. Smells nice though.