birding-aus

feral dogs and birding

To: "'Donald G. Kimball'" <>, <>
Subject: feral dogs and birding
From: "Scott O'Keeffe" <>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 18:56:35 +1000
Donald,

I've found elk during the rut to be the most dangerous...  Wolverines are
supposed to be terrifying, but good luck trying to find one.

If the bear mace you are talking about is a capsicum spray, my understanding
is that this will actually provoke dogs.  I've spent a lot of professional
time on wild dog issues, and know a lot of people that have to deal with
aggressive dogs routinely (good luck to them!).  Most of these are council
animal control officers.  For safety they carry something called a
'whack-bite' stick.  It's a telescoping billy club, essentially.  I think
they are classified as weapons, and are not available to the general public.
Council officers also carry citronella spray which is apparently very
effective on dogs.  I've certainly found citronella very effective on my
marauding Jack Russell Terrier.  Merely uncorking sends the do into a frenzy
trying to get away.  The council officers I know swear by the stuff.

Some other general advice.  Don't run when confronted.  Try to look
confident, look towards the animal, but not straight in the eyes (it's a
challenge to it).  Back away slowly and carefully. (Sound's easy, doesn't
it?).  Seriously though, if you run, it will induce a chase response in the
dogs-  they will be chasing prey.  This is what happened to those
unfortunate children killed by wild dogs on Fraser Island a few years ago.

Advice on how to deal with wild dog behaviour is best accepted only from
those with significant experience.  All manner of folk tales about how to
deal with dogs abounds.  Most of it wrong and possibly hazardous to follow.

And remember, bird in pairs.  That way you don't have to be able to outrun
the dog, just the other guy.

S.