birding-aus

World Checklists, Grasswrens and such

To: "'Jeff Davies'" <>, "'Dave Torr'" <>, <>
Subject: World Checklists, Grasswrens and such
From: "Steve" <>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 18:56:53 +1000
Hello all.
Jeff Davies wrote "...if we had a local committee following proper procedure
the International lists would probably be very thankful and follow the
changes". Exactly, and isn't this is basically what happened after the C&B
list was published. Didn't the IOC list basically adopt most of the changed
suggested by C&B. In fact, for Australian birds (for a while) there were
only a few differences in common names e.g., "Maned Duck", before IOC
continued on its splitting ways e.g., albatrosses, grasswrens etc. It is
becoming less aligned because IOC is continually updating and is therefore
probably becoming a better candidate for the Aus official list. It's only a
matter of time before C&B becomes too out of date to be useful. Like some
others, I use C&B for my Aus list and IOC for my world list, but I am
beginning to wonder why I bother using two taxonomies. I would suggest the
least painful option for Australian birders is to adopt the list closest to
C&B.
Cheers Steve Murray