birding-aus

Superb Parrots, Cudal NSW

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Superb Parrots, Cudal NSW
From: Scot Mcphee <>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 17:27:46 +1000
We got a good look this afternoon at a pair of Superb Parrots (M/F) on the
Canowindra Rd just past the 50km/h zone as it comes down to Cudal, NSW. They
were on the left side of the road verge - when first spotted the male was on
the road surface. We came to a halt about 10 feet before the birds on the
verge and got several good seconds look at them through the windscreen
before we opened the car doors and they took fright into the trees and flew
off in a north easterly direction. That's a life tick for me.

On the back roads through to Dubbo (via Molong/Cumnock/Yeoval/Obley) this
evening there were dozens and dozens of birds (Choughs and Crested Pigeons,
mainly) on the road surface and flushed from the verges including a possible
male red-rumped parrot and some rosellas. I really don't know how we avoided
hitting any there were that many. Many dead birds on the roads, including
within a short space of each other, three sulphur crested cockatoos, looked
fairly freshly dead. Also three tortoises (!) seen crossing the road which
we successfully avoided running over but probably others won't. Also saw
about a dozen small green parrots on the side of the road but I couldn't ID
them as I was driving and spotted them too late.

Also saw a Gang-Gang Cockatoo in the Kosciuszko National Park on road from
Khancoban to Kiandra (which is a life tick for us, but I know it's pretty
common down that end of the world). Also spotted a Richard's Pipit which
displayed itself to us on the very summit of Kosciuszko as we had our lunch.