birding-aus

World Checklists, Grasswrens and such

Subject: World Checklists, Grasswrens and such
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 22:31:00 EST
Hi again.

Just wanted to clarify how things work in the U.S.

A U.S. birder keeping lists under ABA rules has to keep a world list  in
accordance with three authorities:

1.  The ABA checklist for birds within the ABA area (U.S. (except  Hawaii),
Canada and some offshore bits).

2.  The American Ornithologists Union checklist for birds in its area  but
outside the ABA.

3.  The Clements list for birds outside the AOU area.

In practice, the ABA follows the AOU on matters of taxonomy, and mostly
makes decisions on whether an ABA record is acceptable or whether an exotic
population has become established.

Most of the griping seems to be about Clements, who tends to be  rather
conservative.

Each of these publications is updated on a fairly regular basis.

Eric Jeffrey

In a message dated 1/3/2011 10:22:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,