birding-aus

Flinders Island Trip Report

Subject: Flinders Island Trip Report
From: Janet Mattiske and Frank Pierce <>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 20:19:13 +1100

Flinders Island Trip Report

Janet and I spent an enjoyable week on Flinders Island from 8/12/10 to 15/12/10.

We stayed in the Cottage at Flinders Island Cabin Park and hired a Subaru Forester as a package deal. The accommodation was comfortable and was conveniently located near the airport, a few kms north of Whitemark.

The weather was very windy and mostly overcast except for two days of lighter wind and more sun.

We visited most areas on the island and recorded 81 species.

The 3 endemic subspecies (Superb Fairywren, White-browed Scrubwren and Black Currawong) were all common and easily seen.

Chukar has been mentioned in previous B-aus postings. ROCK PARTRIDGE is on the BA Atlas list and one was seen at the end of Badgers Corner Rd. This was on a cleared property called Partridge Farm, so independent feral status would be most unlikely.

Flinders Island is a quiet, relaxing destination. The locals recommend staying a bit longer than a week to allow for at least a few days of inclement weather. They also recommend March as being the 'least windy' time; however it is on the 40th parallel, so right in the zone of the Roaring 40's.

Species recorded were as follows: -

Indian Peafowl

Common Pheasant

Wild Turkey