birding-aus

Princes Parrot thread

To: <>
Subject: Princes Parrot thread
From: "Chris Brandis" <>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 19:49:43 +1100
The current discussion reminds me of a recent trip to South Africa where we
hired Themba at St Lucia for a days guiding. That day was so good it turned
into 2 days.
Being a local and committed to raising the awareness of the locals to the value
of their bird populations he took us onto what was probably "traditional" land
that we could not have accessed with out his influence. It cost only a little
to have the locals look after the car and coming across machete wielding locals
with big smiles as well as some fantastic birds gave us an insight into the
value getting the locals involved in appreciating and using their natural
resources. It is great to see local birdos in their element.
Cheers  Chris