birding-aus

Personal Locator Beacons

To: Stephen Ambrose <>
Subject: Personal Locator Beacons
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 14:20:41 +1100
On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 11:17:39AM +1100, Stephen Ambrose wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who provided advice about PLBs. Based on mostly private
> Association of NSW, bush-walking friends and other professional colleagues,
> I intend to purchase the McMurdo Fastfind 211 PLB (with GPS).

I've thought about getting a PLB in the past so I looked at the unit
Stephen's chosen.

The weight of the 211 (150g) is certainly more attractive than the units
available when I last looked, but prices haven't improved.  Best I could
find is an ebay seller at $534.00.

The similar McMurdo Fastfind 210 can be bought overseas for ~$250.
I gather it doesn't meet an Australian standard for flotation which I
could live with, but you can't register overseas bought PLBs in Australia
which would make it useless.

I'd love to be corrected if I've come to wrong conclusion from
my lunch-time web browsing.

Andrew