birding-aus

RE: Personal Locator Beacons/Spot Satellite GPS

To: <>
Subject: RE: Personal Locator Beacons/Spot Satellite GPS
From: Kailash Willis <>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 11:40:55 +1100

Hi Stephen and others,

i have had a bit of experience with the Spot Satellite GPS Messenger, my dad
purchased one after spending an unplanned night out in the cold.

i think one of the main benefits of this system is that you have three preset
options which can be used to send both SMS messages and emails, which provide
GPS coordinates and a location through Google maps, to designated mobiles and
email addresses.

The three options include one to say you are ok, one that you are in need of
assistance and finally the real emergency button which basically turns it into
an EPIRB.

The ability to let people know that you are ok is often overlooked when
planning an extended trip but is often appreciated by those that are not lucky
enough to be coming along

Cheers

Kailash