birding-aus

Personal Locator Beacons

To: <>
Subject: Personal Locator Beacons
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 18:23:50 +1100

I'm thinking of purchasing a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) as a safety
measure in the field, particularly when bird-watching in remote locations. I
wondered if anyone who has had any experience with PLBs could provide tips
on advantages/disadvantages of various brands. The PLB would be used
primarily in Australia. I'm looking for a lightweight PLB that one could
carry on a trouser belt, in a trouser pocket or in a side pocket of a small
back-pack. Thanks in advance to those who are willing to provide
information.

Regards,

Stephen

Dr Stephen Ambrose