birding-aus

Birdline Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Australia Weekly Update
Date: 6 Dec 2010 01:30:31 +1000

Birdline Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 5 Dec 2010.

Fri 3 Dec Schrenck's Bittern Christmas Island, Christmas Island
Richard Baxter reports observations of Schrenck's Bittern, Black-nest Swiftlet, Asian House Martin, Asian Koel and Peregrine Falcon, as well as lots of wagtails, waders, swifts. A strange pigeon / dove was photographed but not identified.
Richard Baxter per Mike Carter

Thu 2 Dec Long-tailed Cuckoo Lord Howe Is, New South Wales
A Long-tailed Cuckoo was brought in dead after a window collision at a residence on Lord Howe Island 2-12-2010. Hank Bower, Manager Environment/World Heritage.(Moderator's Note: This is a very interesting record, the 6th in fact, and last report was in February 1989. AKM)
Per Hank Bower

Long-tailed Cuckoo Portland Roads Road 100m south of the Chili Creek crossing-Iron Range, Queensland
Record via Keith Fisher (moderator . New Zealand species with scattered records on east coast of Australia - not sure if any have been accepted)
Ben Blewitt

Tue 30 Nov Red-billed Tropicbird Update Lord Howe Island. , New South Wales
Hank Bower just told me that the bird is still there. My photo was taken on 19 November (see attached). The 'nest' is atop a 180 m precipice and was previously accessed by a rather precarious 20 m scramble, dislodging rocks enroute, from a formed walking track above. For safety reasons this has now been closed so observing the bird in its niche is not now allowed. But the bird can still be seen from a viewing point above as it moves from the cavity to the edge of the ledge and then in flight soaring with Red-tailed Tropicbirds over the cliffs below. That is unless the cloud level drops to envelop the mountains as it did the day I was there! For me this did have one advantage however as the surrounding cloud dispelled the vertigo I experienced in clearer air with the potential fall visible as I climbed to the nest!
Mike Carter per Tim Dolby

Black-faced Monarch Melbourne Zoo, Victoria
Found dead, a species we have not seen here for at least the last 40 years that we have kept records. (not an escapee)
Deb Crosby

Sun 28 Nov Arctic Tern Barwon Heads, Victoria
Adult Arctic Tern was seen at Barwon Heads.
Peter Fuller Per Mike Carter

Sat 27 Nov Australian Painted Snipe, Freckled Duck, Wandering Whistling-Duck, Red-chested Buttonquail Wanganella area, Deniliquin district, New South Wales
Some great birds were seen in the Wanganella area in the last couple of days. Three Freckled Duck were seen on private property on Friday. On Saturday three Red-chested Buttonquail (a male and two females) were seen on the TSR. Three Australian Painted Snipe (a female and two males) and a Painted Snipe nest with four eggs were recorded at Wanganella swamp, as were two Wandering Whistling-Ducks.
Philip Maher

South Polar Skua Southport Pelagic, Queensland
Brief views of a dark phase bird on the way in (no photos this month). Also on the trip in addition to Tahitis, Gould's and Black-winged Petrels, we had good nos. of Wilson's Storm Petrels, Short-tailed, Wedge-tailed and Flesh-foot Sheaterwaters, Arctic and Pomerine Skuas (Jaegers), and other normal common species - common, little and crested terns, pied cormorants etc.
Rob Morris on the Southport Pelagic organised by Paul Walbridge

Sun 10 Oct Red Goshawk, Star Finch, Golden-shouldered Parrot, Mangrove Gerygone, White-streaked Honeyeater Musgrave & Lakefield NP area , Queensland
An adult pair of Golden-shouldered Parrots were seen near Windmill Creek on 9/10; nesting Red Goshawks nearby on same day (see pic attached); Zitting Cisticola in high numbers at Marina Plains on 9/10 (& Nifold Plain the following day); a single Mangrove Gerygone was seen well at Marina Plains on 9/10, which is the southern-most record of this species on eastern Cape York Penin; singles of both White-streaked & Yellow-tinted Honeyeaters were seen feeding on mistletoe in the vine forest abutting Marina Plains on 10/10, which is a new site for both species; and later that day, 5 Star Finches including juveniles were recorded on Nifold Plain - a reliable site for this vulnerable species.
Martin Cachard

Birdline Australia is sponsored by Birds Australia and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.