birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 6 Dec 2010 01:31:02 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 5 Dec 2010.

Sun 5 Dec Topknot Pigeon Cabbage Tree Creek Flora Reserve
One seen as it flew into a tree above the our position in the walk at about 9am. A brief look before it noticed us and flew off.
Paul Dodd & Ruth Woodrow

Eastern Koel Ashley St and Western Hwy, Braybrook
Further to yesterday's report, a female joined the male this morning at 8.45 am, calling and flying over the van park.
Ivor Preston

Common Sandpiper Mouth of Kororoit Creek, Williamstown.
At 1255hrs, good view of a single bird on the sand near vegetation on the southerm side of the creek mouth. Thanks to Steve Davidson's posting at the same location on Wednesday, 1 December.
Peter Gibbons and Dave Torr.

Sat 4 Dec White-headed Pigeon, Channel-billed Cuckoo Orbost
White-headed Pigeon: Two or three White-headed Pigeons seen in a bare tree to the south of the Princes Highway near the Snowy River bridge. Channel-billed Cuckoo: One young (creamy coloured) Channel-billed Cuckoo seen flying south-east to the south of the Princes Highway directly opposite the westernmost turn-off to Orbost. Cuckoo was being 'seen off' by a pair of Magpies.
Paul Dodd & Ruth Woodrow

Plumed Whistling-Duck, Bush Stone-curlew, Great Crested Grebe, White-throatedNeedletail, Brown Quail North-East Victoria
Some great sightings during days birding around North-east Victoria for the BOCA challenge count. Plumed Whistling-Duck at 4 sites, breeding near Rutherglen (see photo). Great Crested Grebe and Bush Stone-Curlew also near Rutherglen. One White-throated Needletail seen over the Chiltern Valley. Two Brown Quail flushed at Bartley's Block Chiltern. Red-chested Button-quail in wheat crop at Wilby. Other good birds; at Beechworth, Satin Bowerbird, Red-browed Treecreeper and Australian King-parrot. Dollarbird at Lake Moodemere and Wahgunyah. Black Falcon at Winton as well.
Michael Ramsey and Matt Weeks

Spotted Quail-thrush Mount Samaria SP
Two males having a furious territorial dispute in which feathers flew. On Mt. Samaria Road a few metres NW of the westerly junction with Mount Samaria Track.
Bill Morecraft

White-winged Black Tern, Whiskered Tern, Fairy Tern, Common Tern WTP
Single White-winged Black Tern associating with a few Whiskered Tern near Lake Borrie. Several Common Tern and a couple of Fairy Tern at Kirk Pt. Still very few waders or ducks.
Greg Oakley, Mark Landmann, Tom Evans

Eastern Koel Ashley Street & Western Hwy, Braybrook
Single male bird seen and heard at 6.30 pm from caravan park. It gave both the common male Koel calls. I thought I heard one earlier this morning in the same place, but dismissed it.
IvorPreston

Koel Serendip Sanctuary
Heard calling near Ponding Site this afternoon
Dave Torr and two English visitors

Common Sandpiper Kororoit Creek
X1 seen feeding along Kororoit creek opposite Mobiltanks: also x2 seen active along rocky shoreline at mouth of Kororoit Creek near channel leading off north,observed from hide near Maddox and Gray Reserve Roads.
David A Richardson

Plumed Whistling-Duck Serendip
They were near a section of the track which encircles the sanctuary where recent rains have created a wetland on each side of a causeway. I understand that the sanctuary had had some of these ducks on display in the past although after speaking to one of the rangers I believe these birds may be totally wild birds. [Mod note: there is currently one tame bird at Serendip, in small pond near the informaton centre, so these two birds would be wild.TD]
Paul Hackett

Fri 3 Dec Sooty Oystercatcher Point Roadknight, Anglesea
3 Sooty Oystercatchers sighted in evening around 7pm on the rocks at Point Roadknight where crested tern are usually sitting. They were picking through the mussels exposed by the low tide
Elizabeth and Rick Pearson

Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo Somerville Road, West Footscray, west of intersection with Geelong Road
At 1257hrs, three Cockatoos firstly observed flying, then perched and feeding in a pine tree in a suburban garden.
Peter Gibbons.

Nankeen Night-Heron, Black-fronted Dotterel, Sacred Kingfisher Westgate Park
Nankeen Night-Heron: early am, perched in trees north of freshwater lake (7). Black-fronted Dotterel: early am, west of freshwater lake (1). Sacred Kingfisher: early am, flying across freshwater lake, harassed by Willy Wagtail (1).
Peter Booth

Thu 2 Dec Intermediate Egret in breeding plumage Little Lake Boort
seen in long grass on lakes edge, also Red-necked Avocets at nearby salt lake.
simon starr

Wed 1 Dec Magpie Goose Rossdale golfcourse dam just west of Edithvale Wetland North
A single bird resting on side of dam.
Jim Allen

Common Sandpiper (2) Jawbone Reserve, Williamstown
2, possibly 3 Common Sands seen in flight at mouth of Kororoit Creek this morning on the Jawbone side. As I looked at the first two the third bird was in my peripheral vision and disappeared up the small creek adjacent to Kororoit Ck and could not be relocated.
Steve Davidson

Tue 30 Nov Fan-tailed Cukoo Lerderderg Gorge - Bacchus Marsh
Fan-tailed Cuckoo, Mistletoebird, Grey Fantail, Juv Crimson Rosella, Superb Fairy Wren, Wedge-tailed Eagle , Whistling Kite, Black-shouldered Kite, observed at the Lerderderg Gorge.
Denis Morton

Stubble Quail (2) Bayswater
Today while shopping at the Bunnings Store on Canterbury Rd Bayswater observed 2 Stubble Quail in the indoor timber department.I think they may have taken refuge in the store when the grassland at the rear of the store was cut a few days ago.I also believe this area is to be subdivided in the near future so where do the birds then go.Over the years have seen a lot of different species in this area.
H Keith Fenton

Long-billed Corella Cnr Leveson and Victoria Sts, North Melbourne
A single bird seen perched on a TV antenna. Flew off in a NW direction after being harassed by a Raven.
Paul Jacobson

Black-faced Monarch Melbourne Zoo
Found dead, a species we have not seen here for at least the last 40 years that we have kept records. (not an escapee)
Deb Crosby

Mon 29 Nov Dollarbird Bendigo Mining Settlement Ponds, Woodvale
An area usually flush with water birds - only about 15 silver gulls and 2 Pacific Black Ducks. However spotted a single Dollarbird - not seen at this site previously.
Murray Chambers

Budgerigar Lake Rowan
Two birds seen along the Benalla-Yarrawonga Rd near the Wangaratta Rd turnoff.
Michael Ramsey

Sun 28 Nov Arctic Tern Barwon Heads Estuary
Roosting with godwits, knots and crested terns near the Barwon Heads.
Peter Fuller

Arctic Tern Barwon Heads
Adult Arctic Tern was seen at Barwon Heads.
Peter Fuller Per Mike Carter

Scarlet Honeyeater Bellbird corner reserve, Maffra VIC
One male bird - first time seen by observer in this site.
Kathleen Baker

White-throated Needletail Mahon Lane, Osbornes Flat
About 50 Needletail riding a storm front yesterday afternoon. The birds were high in the sky and were observed for less than a minute before they had moved on. Other good birds recorded on the property include Horsfield's and Shining Bronze-cuckoo, Black-chinned Honeyeater, Rainbow Bee-eater, Diamond Firetail and Rufous Songlark.
Matt Weeks

Tawny Frogmouth Kent Park, Ferntree Gully.
28/11, around 9.30 pm, heard & seen in median strip of Cambden Park Parade, perched in Red Ironbark (Eucalyptus sideroxylon) (1).
Peter Booth

Bar-tailed Godwit, Red Knot, Red-necked Stint Barwon River Mouth
Thought I would check out the roosting waders reported at Barwon Heads & sure enough they were there! I counted 120 Bar-tails, 30 Red Knot & about 300 Red-necked Stints. Caspian Terns not there. It just shows what can happen if these areas are left undisturbed for a short while.
Kevin Bartram

Kelp Gull, Ruddy Turnstone Black Rocks, Bellarine Peninsula
A worn juvenile Kelp Gull seen on the rocks. Several photos taken. Also 14 Ruddy Turnstones (many banded) & a few hundred stints.
Kevin Bartram

Magpie Goose Moolap Station Road, just south of Bellarine HWY
Thought I'd see if I could find the Magpie Geese & found them just south south of the Bellarine HWY on the eastern side in a pony enclosure. I counted 30 individuals, very easy to see & photograph from the road. This is the most I've ever seen in Victoria in one place.
Kevin Bartram

Fri 26 Nov Little Button-quail Amphitheatre
Three individuals flushed from high quality Austrostipa/Elymus/Themeda grasslands north of Impeys Road/Joseph Lane junction, Amphitheatre.
Dan Weller

Wed 24 Nov Regent Parrot, Chestnut-crowned Babbler, Striated Grasswren, Shy Heathwren Hattah-Kulkyne National Park
Regent Parrot: flew onto tree at lake hattah campground and stayed briefly (4). Chestnut-crowned Babbler: old calder hwy near intersection of nowingi track (6). Striated Grasswren: nowingi track, 500m south of konardin track (2). Shy Heathwren: 50m back from side of robinvale rd, 250 metres from calder freeway intersection (1).
Luke McPherson

Quail sp. South West Brunswick
Our son, leaving for work at first light, encountered a Quail sp. (?type) standing on our driveway - hard to say which was more startled!
J. Flack

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by Birds Australia - Victoria and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.