birding-aus

Canon Cameras

To: "Richard Jenkin" <>
Subject: Canon Cameras
From: Chris Charles <>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 19:35:36 +1100
Dick,
I cant quantify the difference in image quality between 7D & 1Dmk4 because I have not used the latter. However with most of these things there is a log scale effect where the extra $ buys you less & less. You just need to locate yourself on that curve. But even then the technology advances & yesterdays $5000 camera output is surpassed by a $2000 camera in a few years time.

I can say though that you will notice a serious advance from the 450D to the 7D. The megapixel count difference from 12.2 to 18.0 will be a real visible difference. (This will be true for the 450D to 7D as the sensor size is the same - but will not be a valid comparison for the 1DMk4 as the sensor is larger.)

As for the 100-400 L IS vs 500 F4L IS, the same applies ( I use both). The additional $s buys a little more range, a little more image quality, & a lot more weight. I love the 500 but still use the 100-400 for night shooting & often for travel, situations where it can be too difficult to look after the heavy bulky 500. There is not the same Moores law working with lenses & ones investment lasts longer. The weight of the 500 will need support & you will likely want to upgrade monopod, tripod, gimbal head, etc. And the weight will reduce the ground covered in a session as it slows you down. It will make your 100-400 feel like a featherweight.
Beautiful images.....but did I mention the weight?
Chris

Chris Charles
0412 911 184

33deg 47'30"S