birding-aus

Canon Cameras

To: Peter Shute <>
Subject: Canon Cameras
From: Stewart Ford <>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 15:08:27 +0800
Hi Richard and Peter

I'm sure there are others more qualified to answer these questions but I will
advance my 2¢ in the mean time.

A very good online resource with comprehensive reviews of both models is
http://www.dpreview.com/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos7d/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1dmarkIV/

There is a page comparing the output of both models here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1dmarkIV/page28.asp

This site details almost everything about the cameras.  In a nutshell they are
quite closely matched in terms of performance and both would be an excellent
choice for bird photography.  The 1D Mk 4 is very much a flagship camera with
better water sealing, durability etc. but is heavier and the configuration
options (customisability) may be daunting to less experienced users - DP Review
makes this point very well.

In my opinion the 7D offers the best value for money, unless you are planning
on working professionally.  It also means you have more money left over to
spend on the one thing that makes the biggest difference to the quality of the
photo - the lens you're using.

The 300 mm and 500 mm are both excellent choices if you can afford them, and
with the field of view crop you get with a 7D (1.6x) you are essentially using
a 510 mm prime lens when you put a 300mm on the front (1D Mk 4 has a slightly
smaller crop factor at 1.3x, i.e. 390mm).  You then have the flexibility of
adding the 1.4x or 2x teleconverters if you need even more magnfication.

Cheers,

Stewart Ford