birding-aus

Trip Report - NSW

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Trip Report - NSW
From: Nick Leseberg <>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 11:06:03 +0000
Hi again,

I spent a week in NSW from 22-28 October, starting in the Capertee and ending
in Sydney, via Forbes, Lake Cargelligo, Round Hill, Hay, Barren Grounds and
Royal NP. Highlights were as follows:

Capertee Valley - Diamond Firetail, Fuscous Honeyeaters, Little Lorikeets,
Painted Button-Quail, Black-chinned Honeyeaters, Zebra Finches, White-browed
Babblers
Superb Parrots were first encountered enroute to Forbes.
Back Yamma SF - Blue Bonnets, Brown-headed Honeyeaters, Buff-rumped Thornbills,
Mallee Ringneck, Crested Shrike-Tit, Tawny Frogmouth (on nest)
Gum Swamp - Pink-eared Ducks (many with ducklings), Blue-billed and Musk Ducks,
White-bellied Sea-Eagle (with nearly fledged young on nest)
Lake Cargelligo STW - White-winged Fairy-Wrens, Baillon's Crake, Red-kneed
Dotterel
Round Hill - Shy Heathwren, Southern Scrub-Robin, Chestnut Quail-Thrush,
White-fronted Honeyeater, Crested Bellbird, Gilbert's Whistler, Splendid
Fairy-Wren, Spotted Nightjar, Emu
Fivebough Swamp - Magpie Goose, Spotless Crake (heard only), Red-necked Avocet
Binya SF - Painted Honeyeaters, Black-eared Cuckoo, Speckled Warbler, Pink
Cockatoo, Mulga Parrots
South of Hay - Ground Cuckoo-Shrike, Plains-Wanderer, Little Button-Quail,
Stubble Quail (all thanks to Phil Maher), Orange Chat, White-backed Swallow
Darlington Point - Long-billed Corella, Black-tailed Native-Hen, Yellow-billed
Spoonbill (the only one of the trip).
Barren Grounds - Lewin's Rail, Eastern Bristlebird, Southern Emu-Wren,
Chestnut-rumped Heathwren, Brush Bronzewing, Pilotbird, Superb Lyrebird
Royal NP - Tawny-crowned Honeyeater

A big week, but some incredible birding. Some interesting notes - not a single
White-browed or Masked Woodswallow (I think they are all in SW QLD where I saw
thousands in late September); only a single Yellow-plumed Honeyeater at Round
Hill where I have often found them to be the most common honeyeater (this time
that honour went to White-eared Honeyeater); no Crimson Chats anywhere and;
only two Zebra Finches in the Capertee and none seen further west (having seen
them I wasn't looking specifically for them, but I have usually seen plenty
without trying).

If anyone wants any more info on sites visited or birds seen, please drop me an
email.

Good Birding!

Nick Leseberg