birding-aus

WHERE ARE THE ANCESTOR SPECIES

Subject: WHERE ARE THE ANCESTOR SPECIES
From: Chris Shaw <>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 06:49:12 +1030
Hi

You are entering the world of Systematics and Biogeography which has more
theories and opinions than there are excuses for a day off work including my
own theories which are Christian based and by inference wacky!

You are using the biological species concept in describing species as defined
by their breeding isolation but as you have correctly pointed out so-called
separate species can interbreed. Phylogenic and Ecological species concepts
have their own explanations as to what species are and what are not and go in
and out of fashion depending on where you did you study.

The world has a number of geographical regions divided by such artificial
barriers such as the Wallace Line. Australia also has a number of biogeographic
regions which are used to explain why we have so many similar looking species
in different areas and is another huge area of interest.

I have a few posts in the science section of my blog if you are interested.
Also note that Charles Sturt Uni has a Graduate Certificate of Ornithology
available to amateur bird people which covers these subjects comprehensively.
It's an expensive course for what you get but... moving on... the course has
whole units on this subject which is only the tip of the iceberg and  opens
your eyes to the huge world of dissension that exists in scientific theory.

Good luck and good subject...

Regards

Chris Shaw

Mobile 0409 675912

My blog - "Top Birds and Everyfing" can be found on the following link

http://topbirdsandeveryfing.typepad.com/top-birds-everyfing/

"Not choice, but habit rules the unreflecting crowd." - WILLIAM WORDSWORTH