birding-aus

White-naped Honeyeater Split

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: White-naped Honeyeater Split
From: jenny spry <>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 11:22:42 +1100
Hi all,

Following on from Dave’s comments, by default, we are already starting to
use international lists for Australian purposes.

For example, BOCA and Birds Australia are currently participating in the
Birdlife International “Important Bird Area” project (IBA). This is an
international project where many countries around the world have declared
certain areas “important” for the protection of “threatened species”. These
areas are selected to protect habitat for birds listed on the IUCN Red List
of Endangered Species. Australia has accepted the IUCN Red list and has
selected IBAs based on birds that are included on the IUCN Red list.

In most cases this is fine, but not always. Just to illustrate the
potential/actual conflicts, the IUCN recognizes the Indian Yellow-nosed
Albatross (*Thalassarche carteri* ) as a threatened species, not a race.
Races, threatened or otherwise, are not included in the IBA project, only
species. This means that for our international participation with the IBA
project, Birds Australia / BOCA treat *Thalassarche carteri* as a species
but for local Australian purposes, using C & B 2008, *Thalassarche
carteri*is classified as a race of
*Thalassarche chlororhynchos*, not a full species.

Now, I agree that the Alboatross/Mollymawk group is a very contentious group
but this example is just one and the situation could apply to other
Australian species both currently on, or eligible for listing with, the IUCN
Red list.

Perhaps a solution is for BA/BOCA to constitute a group of people, along the
lines of BARC (possibly including C & B if they are interested), to assess
proposed changes as they arise. These changes could then be adopted as
updates to C & B 2008, without the need to totally rewrite the one list
every ten years or so.

Also, if there is any scientific / popular wish to keep using an Australian
generated list, and I think there is especially in the selection of Common
Names, then I believe our Australian generated list needs to be maintained
before our international obligations send us to an internationally generated
and maintained list, by default. For an example of this problem, in general
communications here and elsewhere, *Melithreptus chloropsis* is already
attracting two common names, Western White-naped Honeyeater and Swan River
White-naped Honeyeater.

Cheers

Jen