birding-aus

Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest

To: <>
Subject: Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest
From: "Birdpedia - Australia Info" <>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 00:02:03 +0930
The following is a digest of Sightings Reported on Birdpedia for the period
Monday, September 6, 2010 to Sunday, September 12, 2010:

Area: SA

Date: Saturday, September 4, 2010

Location: 16 Swan Avenue Klemzig

Silvereye (Zosterops lateralis) (1) Four birds first seen on 30 August. Two in
garden since, feeding on blossom of prunis tree.

Reported by: Kate Buckley on Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Date: Thursday, September 9, 2010

Location: Private property north of Nuriootpa, Barossa Valley

Spotted Nightjar (Eurostopodus argus) (1) This is my first sighting in the
Barossa Valley in 20 years. I probably flushed it and a friend saw it settle on
the ground about 10 metres away. We watched it for a while and left it still
settled.

Reported by: Grant Penrhyn on Thursday, September 9, 2010

Date: Saturday, September 11, 2010

Location: Avenue Road, Prospect

Rainbow Lorikeet (Trichoglossus haematodus) (1) One was dead on the road -
still warm. When I came by a second time, two others were walking around it and
appeared to be nudging it with their beaks. Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

Reported by: David Cox on Sunday, September 12, 2010

Date: Saturday, September 11, 2010

Location: Black Hill Conservation Park

Laughing Kookaburra (Dacelo novaeguineae) (1) Observed carrying a mouse in
bill, and calling at the same time.  Was then attacked by two Little Ravens,
perhaps to rob it of its prey, but were unsuccessful. During lunch at the Old
nursery, top of Addison Road, after the Birds SA field trip.

Reported by: Martyn Price on Saturday, September 11, 2010

Date: Sunday, September 12, 2010

Location: Sandy Creek Conservation Park

Olive-backed Oriole (Oriolus sagittatus) (1) This morning an Olive-backed
Oriole was sighted at Sandy Creek Conservation Park. I initially went off in
pursuit of a calling Crested Shrike-Tit in the south-western corner of the
reserve, whilst somewhere behind me I thought I heard the bottle-blowing like
call of the oriole. It called again and I went off to try and find it. It
wasn't difficult to find; there were White-plumed Honeyeaters harrassing it
left right and centre and a couple of curious Red Wattlebirds following its
every move. Clearly, it was a novelty for these birds. The plumage on the upper
parts was brown and had buff edges on the secondaries, whilst the bill appeared
to have only a hint of orange. It was calling throughout much of the time it
was observed.

Reported by: Michael Wood on Sunday, September 12, 2010

Need more information about a sighting? Login and contact the poster directly.

Receive sightings via email or SMS immediately they are posted.

Not a member of Birdpedia? Membership is free and gives you access to
information for over 230 countries.

To sign up go to the Birdpedia Web Site (http://www.birdpedia.com/).

To find out more about Birdpedia and what it can do for you, see 'What is
Birdpedia?'