birding-aus

Birdline NT Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline NT Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 01:31:11 +1000
Birdline NT

Published sightings for the week ending 12 Sep 2010.

Sat 11 Sep      Little Ringed Plover Leanyr Sewage Works Darwin
Two Little Ringed Plover at the Ponds today at 5.00pm. Birds in
non-breeding plumage with a little black still showing on the crown but
not much. Birds moved between the main bitumised track and next gravel
track to the east. Not too skitty so got within 10 metres in the car,
unfortunately no camera with me. I have seen the bird here previously so
no doubt re ID.
Rob Burgoyne

Wed 8 Sep       Scarlet-chested Parrot 25deg 04.059'S 129deg 55.790'E
After having spent two unsuccessful days searching at some of Ian Mays
sites for Scarlet-chested Parrots, James and Alexander Watson gave up
the search and were on their way home when they stopped the car to look
at a Thorny Devil. Sheer luck because right there were five SCP's! The
spot was at 25deg 04.059'S 129deg 55.790'E, 81.9 km west down the Docker
River Road from its junction with the road to the Olgas. The habitat was
burnt mulga and mallee. The permit to travel that road is easy to get at
the Yulara visitors centre.
James and Alexander Watson

Tue 7 Sep       Red Goshawk Mataranka
At the nest site, we had great views of both birds - about 11:30 am. The
one sitting - we believe the male- occasionally lifted itself and
preened. Its mate suddenly swooped into view and landed on a branch
quite close to us (about 40 metres from the nest.) She had a fresh
'kill' in her talons (I think a Peaceful Dove) and she proceeded to eat
it while continually calling in between bites. The male occasionally
answered. The female ate the whole dove and then cleaned herself. We
watched the male fly off from the nest and then the female flew up and
settled herself. This indicated to us that the egg/s have not yet
hatched!!!
Brian & Meg Johnson

Sun 5 Sep       Variegated Fairy-Wren (r: dulcis) Edith Falls - Leliyn
Track
Saw a pr on top of the escarpment on the track up to the top pools. Was
surprised - did not expect to see them so far south. {Did look for them
a week earlier on top of Gunlom but failed to find any}.
Brian & Meg Johnson

Thu 2 Sep       Crested Shrike-tit Central Arnhem Highway
Up to 3 birds seen near "Stuart Hwy 10 kms" sign on Mainoru Rd. Coords
-14.5883 S, 132.7238 E
Tom Tarrant, Darryel 'Biggles' Binns

co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds <http://www.eremaea.com> .