birding-aus

Princess Parrot Situation-

Subject: Princess Parrot Situation-
From: Mark Carter <>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 08:25:45 +0000 (GMT)
Hi All.
I'm getting a bit concerned about the unfolding situation around the newly
leaked Princess Parrot site west of Alice. The land where the birds are is
aboriginal land- permits are required to access the area. I know most people
will say they want to do the right thing but will that extend to a situation
where doing the right thing will mean not getting anywhere near the birds? The
Central Land Council have quoted me a minimum of one month to process permit
applications for the sites- that is assuming traditional owners are amenable to
permits being issued at all which is not a given by any means. In my experience
such permits regularly take longer than predicted and refusals are not unknown.
There are no short-cuts.The CLC are now aware of the many groups planning trips
out here so anyone thinking of heading to the site 'under the radar' had better
reconsider- chances are you will get busted. The fines for trespassing out
there will be painful but there
 is also a bigger picture you should consider. A trespassing twitch event out
here could do massive harm to the reputation of birders in the Red Centre.
Access to wildlife sites can be very difficult for us locals as it is- I worry
that trespassing birders in the coming weeks will lead to the reputation of
birding being tarnished and local naturalists being denied access to country
through no fault of our own. So, if you are coming out here please stick to the
permit process. If you don't get approval in time for your trip then consider
visiting other sites such as AWC Newhaven or National Parks instead- conditions
now are fantastic and Red Centre specials such as Rufous-crowned Emu-wren,
Slaty-back Thornbill and Grey Honeyeater are out in good numbers.
Mark CarterAlice Springs