birding-aus

Maroochy Wetlands, Bli Bli, Sunshine Coast, Qld

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Maroochy Wetlands, Bli Bli, Sunshine Coast, Qld
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 14:49:42 +1000
Hi All,

I was reminded yesterday by a visit to the Maroochy Wetlands what a great little place it is for birding. A good place to take visitors or for visitors to go to see a good range of local birds. Although we saw nothing unusual for the area, standouts for us were smashing views of Collared Kingfishers, and watching a Brahminy Kite drop out of a mangrove and pick up a fish in the river.

It's so easy to get caught up in the flurry of daily tasks, and so to ensure we get out birding more often, my husband, James Hall, and I instituted a Monday morning picnic breakfast at a different birding spot each time. As we stood in the carpark munching on breakfast, we were surrounded by a good range of bushbird species, both showing and calling. Later, on the path and boardwalk, we saw and heard species ranging from rainforest, through melaleuca forest to mangrove forest. And only one mozzie, because of the time of year. The long and winding boardwalk leads to the river, but there are no shallows there for viewing shorebirds, only waterbirds. It's a really beautiful place to go, and is roughly 8km upstream from the mouth of the Maroochy River.

Cheers,

Jill
--
Jill Dening